MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right fililng my car up today and i shove the hose in fully and squeeze the dohicky leaver and CLICK its full up apprently

like a squrills nut sack is it full the nose of a needle was hovering above empty so to cut a daft story short dose any one else have this problem

the problem being that if you shove the nozzle in the whatsumacallit (where the petrol goes) fully it won fill UP

i apologise im just really happy

to coin a phrase im

TRIPPING THE LIGHT FANTASTIC

·
1,232 Posts
I wonder why Z's do this... Mine does this 2... Which was annoying.. the first time I filled it up, after that you get used to holding it at a slight angle.

·
Registered
556 Posts
TechnoGoat said:
I wonder why Z's do this... Mine does this 2... Which was annoying.. the first time I filled it up, after that you get used to holding it at a slight angle.
Lot's of cars are the same, it's not a ZR thing.

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Like i said, its all to do with getting it in right.

Because of the stopping mechanism on new cars, unless the nozzle is in at the right angle, the car is gonna think its full! It also depends on the nozzle on the pump, i have found BP to be the worst as they have a shaper angle so u have to twist the nozzle slighty so the fuel goes in at a different angle!!

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
Its becuase most modern cars have a vacuum system in the feul tanks, which is caused by the feul pump, hence the hiss you get when you take the feul cap off, to stop splillages or leaks. Problem with them is that when filling up you increase the air pressure inside the tank with the more feul you put in, fooling the overfill switch in the pump to think the tank is full which is why it clicks off.

Have you noticed that when your closer to actually being full it spits feul out of the hole? its the air pressure find the fastest route out he tank, which takes whatever feul is on top of it, with it.

best thing to is when it clicks, leave it about 10 seconds before trying to start filling up again. As you get closer to filling right up just pull the nosil out a fraction. I do this til i can't get anymore in, then I know its physically full.

·
1,443 Posts
Ive had this on all 4 cars ive owned so its not just a zed thing. Even when it does click for the full point, i can still squeeze an extra couple of litres on top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
that realy piss me off wen it dose that, i alyays get about a pounds worth on the flooi fond bp is the worst palce aswell,it just the positioning on the prob for it to stop filling.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
Stevo said:
I do about 260 miles to a tank :hurt:
Not the only one mate, I only live 4 miles away from work so I do naff all mileage. better on the motorway though, i can get average 320 to a tank then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i was lucky to get 200 miles out of a tank in my old car which was a zr 105, i dnt even want to knw what i get out of mine! it must be the way i drive,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts