MG ZR Forums banner

Failed mot on emissions? Why

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Patton 
#1 ·
Just had my MOT and it failed only on emissions, quite badly too. I have a Janspeed backbox and centre pipe and standard cat. The guy said it seemed like there was no cat there, but there is!

Does anyone have a clue what it might be?

#17 ·
Let us know if you want it looking at mate should have brought it to us for test lol

#16 ·
What were the readings from the emissions? i'm a tester and i always do the emissions first!i've had cars fail on lambda readings if they have a large bore tailpipe before due to it picking up oxygen from the probe not going far enough into the exhaust system! it could be you have a small hole in the exhaust system

#21 ·
my god, an MOT tester with sense, hallelujah!

iv seen the same thing before where the probe hasnt been put far enough into the tail pipe. one of my mates had it happen to him, then he went back for his retest and i went with him, the same thing happened, so i asked the tester "just out of interest" to stick the sensor all the way into the backbox and have another look, which he did because he wasnt a dick, and surprise surprise, all was well!

and every tester iv seen always leaves the emissions while last, which to me makes no fricking sense as the cat has to be mega hot to do its job properly, so surely its better to do it first like you do :shoot2:

#22 ·
How long do yous reckon I should blast about the bypasses etc in my zed before its MOT 2moro?

i was thinking about 30 mins? would that keep it hot enough incase they dont do emissions test til last?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.