MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has all of a sudden stopped working. It is one of those HDDs that automatically turns on when plugged into the computer and then will appear in My Computer. When i plug it in now it doesnt spin, but the light comes on and my computer makes the little noise that something has just been plugged in. Other than that nothing happens. When I try to safely remove I get nothing. If i just pull it out then it starts to spin!?
Is there anything I can to on my computer to try and get it started again? Failing that, is there places that can fix these, or recover the data and stick it on another HDD for me? I dont really want to loose 1TB worth of stuff!!
Thanks

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
Right click on my computer then click manage
then from the list go to Disk management...does the hard disk show up in the list?
if so...right click on the drive and change the drive letter
if not its not looking good
try it on another machine?

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
Right click on my computer then click manage
then from the list go to Disk management...does the hard disk show up in the list?
if so...right click on the drive and change the drive letter
if not its not looking good
try it on another machine?
^^ this, i usually change my external drives to letter Z that way they dont **** about.

If the drive is not spinning, it might of had a knock at some point(not good)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I agree with Rob, if the drive isn't spinning up there is a problem, I have seen it be a failed USB port on the PC tho.

I would think that more than likely the drive could be in a bad way...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if there is an internal part of the drive that has broken, any idea if it would be likely to recover the data if i sent it off somewhere for someone to sort? i dont really want to pay for someone to look at it if the chance of getting my files back is slim

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
most places charge about £40 to recover data off a drive, plus the cost of media to put what they recover on.

I could look at it for you if you wanted, see what the problem is and if the data can be recovered.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be really happy to get the data back for £40! I was looking to get a bigger drive anyway. I emailed a company that I found online, they said they would take it for 4-6days and it would cost around £300!

I know you are busy Jonnaz but if you could take a look, or know someone who would be able to fix it or get the data off it then that would make me very happy :)

Pm me your details if you have the time to look at it. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts