MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can i get my zed to do this? ive heard cleanin out the exhaust system or cleaning the spark plugs can do it.

anyone hav any ideas?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
just decellerate quickly, dump a load of fuel and mess up the cat.

G

·
Excessive popping can damage the cat in your exhaust. What it normally causes it is unburnt hydrocarbons on over run re-igniting in the exhaust

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I just slow down from high speed in 4th gear and it pops nicely. As said above you dont want fast and furious style poping as it can damage the cat. When you see powerful cars blasting out flames its normally down to valve overlap, unless they have a flamer kit on :up:

·
Registered
549 Posts
if thats what you want buy an X POWER Oval rear back box!! :up:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine's just started doing this at around 1300miles. Are they noticeably loud? always seems louder when I slow down and go over speed bumps, makes me think something loose is rattling about under the car (could very well be for all i know)

·
Registered
890 Posts
just get a better exhaust if you want an audible quality to your exhaust. mine does it and i hate it. Nothing more embarassing than a car that sounds like its got a cold.

·
Sick puppy!
8,091 Posts
i have noticed that the 160 will pop alot more than a 105 with an x power oval exhaust...i have a 105 and it still gives a noticable pop when de-celerating matey

·
Registered
164 Posts
noticable? It sounds like something is rattling when I slow down for speed bumps / bumpy roads. I'm pretty sure there isn't but knowing my luck :p

·
989 Posts
do this ... decat pipe .... 5 inch magnex....

floor second gear to about 40mph and then drop to about 5mph in second before putting the clutch down.

best sound youve ever heard ... pop pop pop pop burble burble pop pop BANG

lmao its fuckin class i have had many fun night keeping my neighbours up at 1 in the morn

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Monkey Magic said:
do this ... decat pipe .... 5 inch magnex....

floor second gear to about 40mph and then drop to about 5mph in second before putting the clutch down.

best sound youve ever heard ... pop pop pop pop burble burble pop pop BANG

lmao its fookin class I have had many fun night keeping my neighbours up at 1 in the morn
Have you fitted a competition clutch and gearbox?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anyone would like de cats i can get them for any of the z's but be warned they make your car sound very very VERY!!!! raspy and you will also need to increase air flow at front end drastically to prvent losing back pressure in the exhaust, anyways ceramic de cat from £50 and manifold de cat £80 ( as there are two on most of the Z models a starter and the main. my advice is keep the main and sod the starter off, that way MOT peeps are happy and you get a little more torque.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are two cats the starter and main. the starter is on the mainifold if you pop the bonnet you'll see it. the main is in the next section from the mainifold. in the early days 214 wedge type days Rovers had single point injection then they fitted cats and moved to multipoint to compensate for this, that should give an idea on how much of a restriction they are.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i am thick when it comes to this , still non the wiser !!! so u say your remove the cat and replace it with a what ? and this sounds better , is it a big job? where do u get it from , is it worth it !

·
Registered
218 Posts
what do you mean more air intake - would my viper be ok also has anyone got one i mean how raspy is very very raspy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts