MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

With a 'basic' spec ZR TD I'm back to (fo the first time in ages) wind-down windows! Anybody toyed with the idea of installing the kit to electricise the thing?

Anybody done it?

What would I need?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
It's been done many a time.
2x Window regulators
2x Door looms
Switch pack.

Check to see if the rest of the loom is there for the switches by removing the cover.

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
i was wondering this too, where are the actual switches to control the windows and what do they look like, just incase you end up with a big hole left off the wind up/down ones

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
You can just buy new door cards, or you can get plugs for them off ebay. The switches are at the back of the centre console inbetween the seats.

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
aagghhh i hate them being there! i like them on the actual door :) lol how much does it cost for the whole jobby?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
some guy on ebay was selling everythin u needed for £50 last time i looked for it!

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
mine didnt have any wiring looms in my car so i thought it would be easier to install a universal kit.

how wrong was i! absolute night mare, so hard to get the bloody regulators to stay attatched to the winder! but i have to admit that for a good few months it did work well!

i used the button boxes to cover the hole, worked well, just attatched them to the door card over the hole and it meant the buttons were in a nice location - also they illuminated at night which looked quite smart.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
some guy on ebay was selling everythin u needed for £50 last time i looked for it!
I paid £40 for everything i needed, then i got a mate to wire it up following the diagram from the back of my haynes manual.

Apparently its easy if you can understand them kind of diagrams :hannibal:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys. With the exception of the door looms, I'm there. Got two regulators and a controller box and about to get switches (I had my eye on a facelift dash off FleaBay which had the lot, but I think I've missed it).

Almost there. While I try to source new door cards, is there a blanking cap in common use I might use?

·
Registered
27 Posts
electric windows

Think i'm gonna do this too, electric windows are so much easier. I thought they would be standard on an 04 MG? Oh well at least it can be changed from what you guys have said

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it will help I'll post up a how-to...

·
Registered
27 Posts
That'll teach me for settling for second best- i was too impatient to keep looking around for the zr +. It just never occurred to me bout the windows. Not that its that important, i just assumed a £5000 04 plate car would have them, and i want them so will just stick them in!!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That'll teach me for settling for second best- i was too impatient to keep looking around for the zr +. It just never occurred to me bout the windows. Not that its that important, i just assumed a £5000 04 plate car would have them, and i want them so will just stick them in!!!!
Yup, me too. Still I'm not soooo cheesed off, got myself an 04 ZR for a song as well, so some expense on these is no big wow.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right - got the hump proper now, the two gimps I sourced my leccy windows motors from only sent them 2nd class....so, if they *go missing* (or were even posted at all), I'm, to use the common vernacular, f****d!

:mad:

What was shaping up to be a doddle of a job could turn into un-mitigated disaster...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: One (of two) parcels has arrived!

Mwahahahahaha! My plan to take over the world is at hand!

[Wait....that's a different plan....]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Other parcel is here (two weeks late, no thanks to the local Post Office)...just waiting for switches now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts