MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....been lookin at gettin an E-Tech strut brace for my zed...i know Banshee do them...but since i live near the town i popped into Revolution to get a price to compare to Banshee's....

Their entire catalogue only had 1 strut and the part number said Rover 25 (NOT ZR)....basically...so it was actually excluding the ZR...

So...

Is there NO actual strut for the ZR and therefore using the R25 is the only choice...plus if it is the R25 model...does it need modifying for the ZR...

Just cos i was gonna order one...but they said that if it didnt fit they wouldnt take it back because the model says NOT FOR ZR!!!! :-k and id be stuck with it... :confused:

Any info would be great...

Thanks

:grin:

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if theyare the same...im gonna get them this month...as im still waiting for my order from Jasen....i want the strut and oil filler cap to finish the engine bay off....was gonna get YELLOW hoses like droog but i aint payin £125 just yet for 5 hoses!!!

Did you get yours from Banshee?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
You do need to carry out some minor modification to fit the e-tech strut to the ZR. Nothing drastic and TBH you dont need to really but if you dont you will be plagued with all sorts of strange noises, rattles and vibrations.

There are some pipes coming off the top of the the vent/vacume chamber on the rear firewall. These will foul the strut so the mounting bracket for the chamber will need bending to allow the pipes to clear the strut. This chamber has a solenoid valve that pulses. It causes a noise very much like engine knock and to try and alleviate this, MG-R have mounted the whole thing on a rubber foot to deaden and muffle the noise. If you let the hard plastic pipes touch the strut when itis installed, this noise will bne transmitted through the strut into the car. You can see one of the pipes poking out from under the strut in this old pic. It is covered in silver conduit so sticks out even more.

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Nick...was hoping you would see this!

Gonna sort one form Banshee as i think they will be cheaper than Revolution...

Dont suppose you (or anyone) could sort me out with a HOW TO? guide for fitting the strut...as i need all the help i can get...

Thanks ppl

:)

p.s. I have seen the one in the guides section but i would like someone to elaborate on this...

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Just so people know, the E-Tech one is listed for a Rover 200, but as the Rover 200, 25 and MG ZR as all exactly the same under the bonnet, the brace will fit all.

As Nick says there maybe minor mods to stop it rubbing, but even E-Tech state this as well.

Regards

Steve

G

·
what benefits do you get from fitting a strut brace? other than adding bling under you bonnet, is it better road handling or......?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Yep there will be less suspension flex, as it stops the turrets from flexing ubder hard cornering. You are unlikely to see a massive improvements especially on the roads though. The steering should just feel a little more positive and direct under hard cornering.

Steve

·
Registered
556 Posts
The part that needs moving is the charcoal cannister IIRC. Just a bending of bracket.

You won't go wrong getting parts from Steve or Des @ Banshee ;)

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve B said:
Just so people know, the E-Tech one is listed for a Rover 200, but as the Rover 200, 25 and MG ZR as all exactly the same under the bonnet, the brace will fit all.

As Nick says there maybe minor mods to stop it rubbing, but even E-Tech state this as well.

Regards

Steve

Nice one......how much you punting them for?

Cheers... :mrsmiley:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Stu said:
The part that needs moving is the charcoal cannister IIRC. Just a bending of bracket.
ERR think I said that ](*,) :mrsmiley:

Be careful when bending the bracket. Dont just try heaving on the cannister as you will find it will come off in your hands (Oh er missus). Best thing is to remove the cannister complete with the rubber mount (it just lifts off the bracket upwards). The bracket is pretty strong and dosent like being bent so you will have to find you own way of bending it. I used a long jemmy bar and a set of mole grips, but I'll leave you to find your own way. Just make sure when you refit the cannister it dosent have any touch ponts with any of the the surrounding components, or bodywork.

Jacqui_UK said:
Will they stop the engine rattles if fitted on a diesel?
The only way to stop a diesel rattling is to change it for a petrol engine :twisted:

GIL5294 said:
Cheers Nick...was hoping you would see this!

Gonna sort one form Banshee as i think they will be cheaper than Revolution...

Dont suppose you (or anyone) could sort me out with a HOW TO? guide for fitting the strut...as i need all the help i can get...

Thanks ppl

p.s. I have seen the one in the guides section but i would like someone to elaborate on this...
I have added a little extra to Al's "How to". Hope that helps. If you need anything else explaining then dont hesitate to email/PM me. :mrsmiley:

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just read the guide...seems ok, so ill give it a go!

Cheers Nick.....one of the reasons im glad you still post on here...

The Modding Guru!!!

heh heh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts