MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit it ... when it comes to cars ... I know nuurrthing ... a complete dummy!! So i need a very patient adviser who can talk to me as tho' I'm a complete idiot :blink2: !!

But having just got my zed 105 I do want to start modding it.

I've already ordered the Lexus rear lights ... reckon even a numbskull like me should be able to do that ok ... unless anyone wants to warn me of snags or probs?? (Do you really just take one lot off and put the new lot straight on? I read of someone "spraying" their Lexus lights ... what's that all about?)

Next job is front fogs. There was a useful thread on this a few days ago but I can't find it now ... so, where do i get them? ... how much? ... how do you fit them? ... and where do i get the colour coded bits??

After that comes performance. I've seen all the debates about induction kits (whatever they are!) and I'm still none the wiser!

I read in total MG that Paul Doncaster had fitted a Pipercross air filter to his 105. Is this recommended? ... what effect will it have?

Also saw mention somewhere on this site about ECU Upgrade? Any good? ... what does it do? ... how much?

And then to the exhaust (I'm exhausted already!) ... again I've seen the debates about Xpower versus Powerflow etc. Does the changing the box change anything other than the noise? Which one would give me a sufficient change to sound "different" without sounding like a mobile 50-gun salute?? Are twins generally quieter than ovals? What benefit is there in changing the whole thing from manifold to tailpipe? Again, what's the real benefit? Paul Doncaster apparently has "Powerflow twin upswept exhaust system" ... and ... "Piperflow exhaust system" ??? Only price mentioned for this £280 !!! For complete system including box????

And finally ... (TFFT, I hear you say) ... having decided which of these brand names to get for everything ... where do you get them from and what about fitting?? BTW ... when it comes to money ... I ain't loaded ... but i don't want to buy a load of crap just cos it's cheap!!

Anyone got a day or two to answer my inane questions?

Cheers
Ade
:oops:

·
Registered
167 Posts
woah, lets take this one at a time eh matey :)

Lexus Lights - there are many different kinds available including the new L.E.D rear clusters, one of my customers had the outer parts of their lexus lights painted and it looked very good indeed.

Fog lights are no big problem, you need to find ones that fit with the shape of your bumper, or buy the originals from your Rover dealer, they should come with mounts and will fit very easily :)

Induction kits are performance open sir filters (not enclosed in a box like yours is now) so it will look like this instead:

http://www.impact-styling.com/image.php?productid=40745

This will increase performance as your filter can absorb air from all angles and improve your air/fuel ratio. There are also high performance induction kits such as the pipercross viper which are enclosed kits offering even more performance at a greater price.

An ECU upgrade can either be in the shape of an ECU remap or a superchip, both of these methods basically replace your old "brain" of your car and replaces if with one which tells it to perform better by tweaking certain aspects. This is quite expensive but can increase performance by up to 25%

Exhausts wise I recommend a powerflow system, this comes with a lifetime guarantee and at a great price. You can get a full system fitted in stainless steel with twin backboxes for about £300 :) A full exhaust system will increase performance up to about 12bhp :)

You can check out many many products at

www.impact-styling.com

Hope this helps, any more questions you can email me at: [email protected] :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
You won't see 12bhp from a powerflow cat back on a 105. No where near unless you are using Nova maths.

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
AndyK160 said:
Stu said:
You won't see 12bhp from a powerflow cat back on a 105. No where near unless you are using Nova maths.
Didnt he say FULL system tho.......??
Erm...yep :up:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Powerflow don't do a FULL system.

At least I have never seen them make a manifold before.

I have now seen before and after figures for 7 different 105's with full systems and not one of them got more than 7bhp from them. And these are Janspeed / Scorpion systems.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I guess with all these things there are bound to be personal preferences. I certainly hope to get to a few meets but, unfortunately, of all the dates I've seen so far, I can only do the August one! Perhaps there'll be others arranged in the meantime that i can manage to get to. Hope so, but I bet you'll all get fed up with my silly know-nothing questions!!!

Cheers
Ade

·
Registered
393 Posts
Stu said:
Powerflow don't do a FULL system.

At least I have never seen them make a manifold before.

I have now seen before and after figures for 7 different 105's with full systems and not one of them got more than 7bhp from them. And these are Janspeed / Scorpion systems.
Powerflow do make full systems, and for any car!
They will make anything you want. Full system or just back box. Plus have a massive range of tail pipes to choose from, you can even design your own tail pipe and they'll make it (at a cost tho)

But i also haven't seen a manifold made by them :?

G

·
Some of the advice given here is spot on, some is slightly misleading.

Changing rear lights really is quite easy although there are a few things to be aware of. There is a thread on here that is quite usefull and also answers your questions (thanks to Mr C)

http://www.themgzr.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7305

There are lots of useful threads in the "How To" section so have a troll through there. If there is something you dont understand then dont be afraid to ask. Everyone had to start somewhere and there are always loads of very knowledgable people on here only too willing to help.

There will often be difference of opinions on certain things (which exhaust is best, which induction kit is best, which lights are best etc) as everyone loves what they have got and will tell you that it is the best.

Just take the advice given and pick the bones out of it where you can. If in doubt dont do it until you are absolutely certain that you are going to be happy with it and that you 9or someone else) knows what they are doing.

Induction kits are the generic name given to any air intake filter system fitted to your car. Even the standard filter and intake on your ZR is an inductionkit.

They fall into 2 main categories, open and closed. Each have advantages and disadvantages and as such each have their own following.

IMHO an open filter will give you plenty of induction noise and can show improvements through the mid range BUT at slow/stop speeds they will suffer heat ingress from the air in the engine bay and so you will lose performance on accelleration, even if you fit a cold air feed as when stationary, there is no flow through the ducting to supply the cold air and the engine wont suck through the ducting. if it did then it would need to be a........

Closed systems:

The system you have on your car already is a closed system, ie the filter chamber is totally enclosed and all the air is drawn from outside. These dont suffer from hot air ingress the way an open filter can as all the air is taken from outside. So why bother changing to a different system? Well a cheap option is to change the paper filter to a performance filter which will still do a good job at filtration but be less restrictive to the airflow. The standard filters are made of paper (ever tried breathing through a piece of paper?). They are very cheap to produce and very good at filtering but very restrictive too. If you can make the airflow into the engine as easy as possible then you will get more air into your engine. More air in means more fuel in means more power out (dont get the idea though that more fuel will always mean more power, its not that easy as it is all down to air flow mixtures as well. Get it wrong and you will actually make things very much worse).

The reason that panel filters are not that popular is that they dont seem to actually do anything. They dont make the engine sound any racier (like an open will), they dont actually look any different as you cant see them so are not visually pleasing and the performance gain is only 2 o3 BHP at best (pretty much all you are ever going to get from a filter change alone regrdless of weather it is open/closed/panel despite what people will tell you. I have the rolling road comparison results from my own car to prove it)

Now if you are making it easier to get the air into the engine but keep the exhaust the same then you will cause a problem. To really get the benefit of an induction system then if you are shoving more air in you need to make sure all theis extar can get out so you need a decent manifold and exhaust system. Just a back box will help a little but the best results are a complete system change.

The same is true if you do just the exhaust and not the intake as if you are giveing the exhaust a nice free passage to escape but it is still being restricted by the airflow in then it wont make much difference.

Sorry that this has been a little long winded but I am trying to give you the most 'open' view I can based on facts rather than conjecture which is why I havent mentioned companies or makes of various components.

Hope this has been of some help and gone some way to clarify things if not clouded them even more.

G

·
Now that I have bored you rigid with that, ECU upgrades, mapping, chips.

The ECU is the brains behind your engine. It controls everything, ignition timing, fuel mixture etc.

When an engine is designed, it is made to an exact set of blue prints and run on a test bed for many many hours at different settings. It si the pulled apart and seen if anything is about to break or any other problems. This is done over hours and hours and hours until in the end they have an engine that is reliable.

Now this engine has been hand built to exact tolerances and has been properly looked after. They now need to take into account the engine you will have in your car. This will be massed produced so will not be to the exact tolerances. It will probably be abused and have oil changes missed or run on cheaper oils/filters. Will probably have lower octane supermarket fuels and be driven quite harshly. To compensate for this, they use the ECU and reprogramme it to detune the engine slightly so that is is less heavily stressed. They change the ignition timing to prevent detonation/pinking (if you want an explanation ask) and to keep the engine running cooler. This makes the engine even more reliable.

Now if you could get access to this ECU programme (map) then you could change it back to the way it was designed and get a lot of performance back. It means having to service it and do oil changes more often and using high grade fuel etc. This what a RE-Map does. A chip is a halfway house where it intercepts some of the signals coming in/out and changes them so the map in the ECU stays the same but the performance of the engine changes. This is popular as it is normally cheaper and come servicing the chip can sometimes be disconnected so the dealer cant spot it. A remap sometimes shows up and the dealer may well reset everything back to normal, undoing all the work you have paid for.

An upgraded ECU is normally the most expensive way to go but is sometimes the only way to go if you have made major and significant changes. For instance, Steve B from Banshee Motorsport who frequents this site has a rover 200 with a KV6 engine fitted. It is unlikely that the ecu from his 200 would be able to work a KV6 so he has a specific ECU for that.

If you were to change the head on your engine for a full race spec head with the cams and valves upgraded, different injectors and fuel pumps, exhausts and multi throttle bodies it is a fair bet your standard ECU wont be able to handle that so you would need to get a specific one that can be remapped and programmed at will.

Hope that explains some of the differences

G

·
As fro where to get the kit, well have a look at the recommended comapnies on here. They have all been used by members here and some or all offer either discounts or very competitive prices.

Ebay is another source, but Caveat Emptor (buyer beware), there are some scams and absolute crap out there. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
There will often be difference of opinions on certain things (which exhaust is best, which induction kit is best, which lights are best etc) as everyone loves what they have got and will tell you that it is the best.
As above Nick is spot on with wot he says.

But that said, obviously ABC clear rear lights and Blueflame exhaust are the best LOL, cos otherwise I wouldn't have put 'em on my car would I? ;)

On a serious note though and with regard to the meets situation. Chelsea_blue, (so obviously you are an Arsenal fan then...) if you can't make it to any of the ones already arranged, why not suggest a meet of yer own.

Find an empty date on the calendar (not all that easy) and a venue and post it up as a suggested meet in the events section.

You should get some peeps that are interested and can make it and then it snowballs from there.

Lots of us have done it, that's how they get set up :up: :mrgreen:

G

·
Z00M said:
Is he :book:

Just a sad old fart who has spent almost all of his years messing about with all types of things mechanical.

When most kids were out on thier bikes causing mayhem, getting covered in mud and eating dirt I was messing about in the local garage getting in the way, getting covered in oil and eating grease.

Most of the toys I owned I used to get bored with and would then pull apart to see how they worked. Didnt always get them back together quite the same way and often had a bit or 2 left over.

Nothing new there then :up:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all who responded. I'm certainly a lot wiser than I was ... but still a long way to go!

Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Cheers
Ade
:up:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts