MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to fault of our own... (we needed two new front tyres but kept putting it off) my bf was driving the car friday and pulled in to park quite hard and hit the kerb, We throught he'd buckled the wheel but when we put spare on it still had the same problem (theres some sort of resistance when turning and the wheel sits at an angle so a friend reckons it could be something to do with the drive shaft... anyway MG are collecting it tomorrow (£85) :blink2: so presuming its that... does anyone know what sort of figure we're looking to pay?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If it is a driveshaft, and I think it will not be, then these are around £200 I would imagine.

If he has hit it on the side/ at an angle, it could be the lower tracking arm, or possible the steering rack arm. It will depend on how the wheel is sitting with the steering wheel straight.

You have most likely put the tracking out, and depending on the damge just having the tracking realigned will sort the problem.

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds promising!!! not as bad as we thought... we were thinking hundreds!

Thank u :up:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i twatted a curb in my Corsa doing 65 about 2 years ago which knocked my tracking out by 6 degreees. It basically meant holding the wheel as if I was taking a steady right-hand turn just to go in a straight line.

My money is on the tracking being out. He'd had to have hit that curb quite hard to damage the drive shaft

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had a call from the MG garage n its gonna cost just under £2000!!! :blink2:

Theres loads wrong i cant remember half of it, something to do with new hub, power sterring, new wheel etc

Its gotta go through the insurance company but we have only just had it lowered and didnt get round to telling the insurance company... do u think there'll still pay?

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
CAZ said:
Just had a call from the MG garage n its gonna cost just under £2000!!! :blink2:

Theres loads wrong i cant remember half of it, something to do with new hub, power sterring, new wheel etc

Its gotta go through the insurance company but we have only just had it lowered and didnt get round to telling the insurance company... do u think there'll still pay?
i hope so for your sake how low ??? is it noticable???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive done exactly same thing!

Kerbed it doing about 15 miles per hour though.

Needs new driveshaft, and and drivers wheel bearings, and tracking. Already had new sub frame fitted but it still doesnt feel right.

£2000 seems a hell of a lot of money though. Take it to an independant reputable garage.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
:up1: :up1: yip wot that says, :blink2: surely it wont cos that much

hope its goes a it more your way!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a break down, it was new Driveshaft, new hub, subframe, wheel

Insurance company are taking it to there own garage (lovells) so it may be a bit cheaper just gotta hope they pay out as it had bald tyres.

Watch this space :blink2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So do i m8 but it just got worse!!! Lovells who have it now just rang and said .....wait for it...

It needs a new shell as it twisted!!!! (I'm expecting a phone call soon saying its written off!!!!! the way my lucks going) But they were really good and said they wont tell insurance co about mods if we dont!! YAY

Not gonna have it until end of january tho BOO!!

Anyway end report.... wont bore u all with it anymore!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no they said it can be fixed its just going to take ages!! At least i'll only have to spend a fiver on petrol a month!!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
How hard did it hit the kerb, there is no way that amount of damage could have been done, unless the kerb was hit broadside, from a high speed.

I can't believe for one second that there is that much damage from just hitting a kerb whilst parking, I suggest you get a second opinion, as I think you are being fleeced.

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We did think it was a bit excessive but it did hit quite hard it, it wasn't done pulling along side a kerb, he was probably doing about 15mph and hit it more or less straight on but the wheel was at an angle so it hit parrelle. He said about the roof being twisted n he's gonna show my bf tonight when he picks the courtesy car up, he said the door sticks when u open it but that done that anyway from the door panel falling off! I found it a bit hard to believe and my sisters bf is a mechanic but he cant get over to check it out, and as we dont know enough about cars we cant really challenge them!

Lovells is quite a reputable garage so we're not too concerned at least now we now we'll get it paid! It's just hassle more than anything else!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
There is no way you could of bend the chassis at that speed, unless ZR's are made of tin these days (wouldn't surprise me with the cuts MGR keep making to the cars). The first lot of stuff you said was just about believable, though not sure why you need a hub, they are very robust.

I have clouted mine into a kerb at about 30mph, and that was with the wheel at an acute angle, and apart from a huge dent in the alloy and tracking severely out, there was no damage to the actual suspension parts. They are very robust.

Anyway like you said as long as they are going to sort it out, there is not too much to worry about, apart from the loss of your NCB. Just don't let the B/F drive it again LOL

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts