MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Later Mk 1s and all Mk 2's never had this fitted. It was another penny pinching exercise by MG-Rover (like not fitting soundproofing to the bonnet and using cheaper plastics inside. If you pick a warm dry day and use a hairdryer to soften the vinyl, you should be able to peel if off with no problems. You will probably end up with a load of sticky gunk underneath that will need a solvent to help remove it. White spirt should work well and then finish it off with some t-cut and polish.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Was just fitted to most mk1's. Doesn't really have a purpose lol.

Will just look like the rest of the bodywork once peeled off. MK2 zr's don't have them and they look much better without them imo. Just use some autoglym tar remove to get the residue off with :)

It was to help stop finger marks on the paintwork when you shut the door and to also help prevent the static jolt you get sometimes as well as the aesthetic value on lighter cars of looking like one big window.

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
I had the problem of it fading as well, a bit of meguiars tyre shine gel on it and it came up like new!

I like the look of there not being a break up in the windows, but I guess with your dark coloured car removing the strips wouldn't make it too much different

·
Registered
659 Posts
Door trim removal

Took it off my ZR as I had one good side and one that was very poor having lifted around the edges and gone wrinkled. Used my hotair gun on the 'low' setting. If you don't trust yourself or have a good enough quality hotair gun to trust you can use boiling hot water - but don't go too mad with it, do a bit at a time. You will have the front window down when you get to pulling out the bit that sits under the window surround if I remember rightly to enable you to pull the trim forward if needed.

Depending on the colour of the car it might not look better with it off, I took mine off my Trophy Blue ZR out of nessesity and didn't like the look as much as the black pillars, my 5 door Streetwise I am using at the moment is Nightfire Red and doesn't look good at all with the bare bit between the doors. Personally I would have preferred to replace mine with smooth satin black or some of that carbon lookalike stuff Vauxhall used for the same job on the Vectra

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.