MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 105 which has drum brakes on the back. I'm starting to save money to start modding the engine but I want to sort the brakes out first and get the rear ones changed to disc brakes and maybe upgrade the brakes on the front at the same time

Does anyone know where I can get this done in the Camberley/Guildford area and roughly how much this will cost

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The parts will be expensive new from MG Rover, would think it would take someone perhaps 3 to 4 hours to do the work.

Just worth pointing out though, there is no need to change them from a performance point of view, I can assure you they are not a weak link in the braking, I have 200 BHP and I still have drums.

I can understand if it is from a style point of view though, they do look better than drums.

Steve

G

·
As Steve says, other than for cosmetic reasons there is little point in changing the rear drums on a 105 to disks. It can be very expensive to do though, but as 80% of the braking is done by the front then there is little point.

What is a good idea though is to replace/upgrade the front discs. The standard ones on a 105 are useless. The cheapest option is to change the pds or better still change the pads and disks. This can easily be done for around the £100 mark. If you want to go over to ventilated disks than you will be looking at much more money as not only will the disks need to be changed but so will the calipers as well. These could be sourced second hand but if you are going new, then look at several hnderd££££'s.

I have got EBC Turbogroove disks and greenstuff pads on mine and the improvement is incredible. I used to suffer terrible brake fade and often ran out of brakes. Since converting I have not had that problem at all, even when I have had the ZR on track.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i`m getting my black doamonda disc+pads and braided hoses fitted on sat after getting it over a year ago off steve b...i`m looking forward to wot kinda diff it will make!!hehe

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Bed the brakes in over about 200 to 300 miles, they will not work particularly great for the first few miles whilst various coatings are burnt off, just take it very easy until they are bedded in.

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
Steve B said:
Bed the brakes in over about 200 to 300 miles, they will not work particularly great for the first few miles whilst various coatings are burnt off, just take it very easy until they are bedded in.

Steve
just got my brakes fitted today i know wot u mean by takin it easy jeese i feel like i have no brakes atm..takin it real easy until its bedded in..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts