MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i accelerate its like a delay of 4 secs or somethin till i start pickin up power, i have a 57i k&n induction kit fitted, why does it do this??? please help me.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
This was exactly why I got rid of my open filter I lost power in low down revs and from a standing start. Its down to heat soak and unless you get a good cold air feed there is nothing you can do :up: Either get an enclosed system with a good cold air feed or get a panel filter to use in the standard air box.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
yup chucked my k&n the day after :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
depends on how you fitted your K&N, if on the throttle body it can reduce power specially if there's no air feed, if you run the K&N towards the battery it is better as there's less hot air. On mine its not noticeable but thats cos of the bonnet vents letting the hot air out.

G

·
It dosent matter if you have an air feed the size of a dustbin, you will still get heatsoak and the lag that you are describing.

With an 'open' filter when you are stationary or travelling very slowly, then there is no airflow into the engine bay or into the cold air feed, so the filter will draw in the hot air surrounding the engine. Thsi is what is known as heatsoak and it will also affect all the pipes and ducting as well as the plenium chamber.

The engine will not suck air from the pipe unless it is totally enclosed as in a closed system.

I have had the standard system but with a pipercross performance panel filter, an Apiero Aeira and now a closed carbon fibre Diavolo to which I have also added a mirrored stainless steel heatshield for cosmetic reasons as well as to help reflect some of the radiated heat from the engine block.

The open filter made a gorgeous noise but I suffered horribly with lag and stagnation on acceleration. The panel filter made little noticeable difference but showed about 2 hp at the wheels increase. I have yet to dyno the closed system to see what (if any) improvement this has given.

If you want decent acceleration, you are going to need to ditch the open filter system.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Got rid of my pipercross one, biggest waste of money ever. Felt like my car was moving by the extreme power of a hamster in each wheel.

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
blaps_los said:
wtf u talkin bout bri.
Cos its Lukes car aint it...with all that money he made from various album sales im sure he could afford a turbo...

;)

Lukes zed...god knows whats under the bonnet! he he he

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a K&N on mine i have a 105, i also get delayed acc also it slows down your rev counter. The only thing is to get the whole pipe cross fitted it can cost up 2 #150.

okay mate.

G

·
I dont think that the K&N is actually slowing your Rev counter down as all that indicates is RPM. What the K&N is slowing is your engine which is being correctyl reported by the RPM gauge and thefact that you have sluggish acceleration

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the good replys peeps. im gonna get my self a good closed inductionkit, any recomendations?pics? please.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts