MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I believe this has been asked before but I can’t find a definite answer.

so my current symptoms are:

- passenger door has never opened since owning, even with manually pulling the pin up and down (does nothing)

- checked fuses and they seem fine

- locking via remote works with drivers door only but have to unlock with key

- I have thought relays, but my windows, horn, fog lights etc all work but I guess still could be a relay?

When I purchased the car it had been sat for 6 months and the car was probably dead for a while

anyone got any ideas or has managed to get the lock off from taking the door card off from inside?

if anyone is local to Staffordshire I’d be more than happy to pay/beers if you wanted to help!

Cheers,
Brad

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Your unlocking problem with the key only is problem with relay which needs to be changed. My suggestion for you would be to try to speak with Paul at Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair and see what he could suggest you. Most probably removing SCU unit from the car and send it to him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SCU is paired with engine ECU, so you need fobs, SCU and ECU. However be aware that if you do not know if relays are replaced in that SCU you might end up with same problem soon.
Thanks!

managed to pick up a fully working ECU, SCU and two fobs for £50 tonight so fingers crossed that works

just seen that you have to grind some bolts off to get to the ECU so that will be fun 😂

Maybe I should check the Relays first or I could always send my old on off and keep that as a spare as I have the paired ecu

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,379 Posts
just seen that you have to grind some bolts off to get to the ECU so that will be fun 😂

Maybe I should check the Relays first or I could always send my old on off and keep that as a spare as I have the paired ecu
You shouldn't need a grinder - they are security bolts which have hexagon heads which shear off when they are tight. You should be able to get a good pair of locking pliers (Vise-Grips or Mole-Grips) to grab hold of the remains of the bolt head and get them out. Use a grinder as a last resort.

As Roverlike has said (and I suggested in your other thread), the central locking failing to work to unlock the doors will almost certainly be the relay in the SCU. A new relay is £5 from technozen-electronics (or £4 each if you buy all five - you are likely to need tham eventually unless some have already been upgraded; the original Pektron relays are a well known and relatively common failure point). He can do the replacement for you (for a fee) if you are not able to desolder the existing relay from the pcb and solder the new one in. You would need to extract the SCU and post it to him though, but he normally does a quick turnaround and you will get it back in about 4 days.

Replacing the relay(s) will be simpler than swapping the SCU and the engine ECU (and potentially finding that the new one either doesn't work, or suffers a failure itself within a short time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts