MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one by any chance?

the ZR's dash seems very basic and dull at night time. wondering if anyone has done anything to theres as i'm thinking about maybe getting one of them blue LED kits

they just look like a ****ing nightmare to kit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
there is not that easy to get blue light!

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I completely replaced all the switchgear in mine with SAVAGE switches. This necessitated creating a complete new mounting and a whole new relay loom to incorporate independent relays for the flashers etc

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks dead nice mate. bet it was a pain in the ass to do that though haha, has anyone changed the colour of there speedo/revs dials?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
There are several ways to do this. The main problem is that the orange colouring is done with orange plastic in the dials so any colours you change to the illumination will be muddied.

The cheapest and easiest method to get some different colours is to use EL (electroluminescent) wire of whatever colour you like glued to the inside of the reveal so that illuminates the front of the dials with a soft glow. I did this on my ZR early on in purple and have also fitted it to a few others cars. Heres a couple of examples.

There was a company who made a dial cover out of EL sheet which made the whole of the dial face glow and with the aid of a dimmer the colour could be changed between green and blue. I think Vic may have one of these fitted to her ZR?

Another option is to change the whole of the dials for something custom made. I approached Metal Monkey a few years ago to see if they could make me a set based on the R25 gauges. The R25 is mounted very slightly differently but eventually we came up with a set. The nice thing about these is that you can have virtually any colour, any font and any logo you like. These are mine

·
Registered
352 Posts
Light Sabre

do these EL wire, are ending, i mean hmmm some place do not light much anymore (on my car) , why is that !? there is some limited time to light!?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
It depends on the quality of the EL wire. There is a lot of cheap stuff around that dosent last and also the colour and thickness affect the intensity as well as the quality of the inverter. I have had some in mine now for around 4 or 5 years and it is a lot less bright than before. That said it isnt that expensive and can always be changed. I get mine from www.litewave.co.uk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts