MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried to corner weight their ZR?

Before I go through the process, I want to lower my car, either on Eibach springs or some coilovers.

I have a TD, so the game will be a bit different, because the car suffers from a lot of torque steer and the L series engine is a lot heavier.

However, have a look
http://www.northamptonmotorsport.com/default.asp?id=20

Any advice would be good.

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Fecking balls, £80 just to check the tracking! What a rip!

I cornerweight our race Zeds all the time, its a bit of a cock ache TBH.

The biggest problem with a ZR is the weight is all on one side in RHD form, ie the engine and the driver are both on the right of the car.

In a road car its a bit pointless because you set your car up to carry you around and then a passenger gets in a cocks everything up!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally get your point that corner weighting is a bit pointless for a road car. However, I am trying to set it up for track days. Secondly, it is my personal car and thus, 99% I am the only one that is in it.

I am not aiming for 100%, but there are a couple fundamental problems. First, there is a massive amount of torque steer. Second, the front right inner tire wears down faster than anything else. Third, the car loves left hand turns, but corners very poorly on right turns.

As a guide, do you know how much weight needs to be shifted on the k series?
I am not aiming for perfection, just to improve things.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
you cant do corner weights on lowering springs ;) it would have to be coilovers all the way around... we do a full geometry set up at work for 120 pounds thats corner weights, 4 wheel alignment and camber setting if you have it, toe in etc etc

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that coil overs allow you further means of corner weighting, but I also thought you can redistribute the weight. One thing that I was particularly keen on is shoving a wedge under the right side engine mount, however I dont know how practical it is to do and what other stress it does.

If you solely rely coil over adjustments, roughly how much height difference would there between the sides?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
You need coilovers to cornerweight. There is not enough moveable weight in the car to achieve it any other way.

As for torque steer you will always have this as you have unequal length driveshafts, but by the sounds of your tyre wear you have toe out at the front which will make any torquesteer you have feel 100% worse.

I'd get this sorted before messing around with weights

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you solely rely on coil over adjustments, roughly how much height difference would there between the sides?
how long is a piece of string :p
its not going to be stupidly massive, but either way itll handle like its on rails which is what its for, not looks...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, that was really helpful. I will get my suspension checked asap. I guess what I do next will depend on how much improvement I can achieve as standard.

Im reluctant to buy coilovers because I spending money a uprating the gearbox with a LSD.

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
you have 4 wheels. If say, the back two have a load of 240kg each and the front has a load of 280kg each. you need to get them so they all have the same weight on each wheel. so all of them would have 260kg bearing on them. you can do this by ajusting your coilovers, moving thing about in the car etc..

i think.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Thanks guys, that was really helpful. I will get my suspension checked asap. I guess what I do next will depend on how much improvement I can achieve as standard.

Im reluctant to buy coilovers because I spending money a uprating the gearbox with a LSD.
An LSD will give you even more torque steer, but they are great so hang on tight!

G

·
how much are LSD's and what difference will it make to a 1400...next to nothing i rate, its just my mate had a LSD on his 1293 mini cooper and it was really loud, love the noise it made , suppose he did have a dog box with S/C/Gears... Hmm, is there any way of building up a standard 1400 box which will have shorter gear set up then the normal ZR box??
Sorry to spam its just been on my mind for ages lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am getting more involved in the car than I actually want. This whole issue is that I am in the process of fitting an FMIC, injectors and plan on having the car remapped next week. It should boost the car from 140 to 155 bhp and the torque around 240 lb/ft.

The fundamental problem with this increaesed performance is that my does handle the torque very well. I need to rebuild the gearbox, hense the LSD. I already have problems with torque steer and knocking under hard acceleration off the line.

Im now thinking perhaps I should hold off on increasing the performance. The FMIC will bring to the car to around 145bhp, which the gearbox can handle. In this case, I can spend the money the handling, which I think would make a much bigger difference on the track than an extra 10 bhp.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how much are LSD's and what difference will it make to a 1400...next to nothing i rate, its just my mate had a LSD on his 1293 mini cooper and it was really loud, love the noise it made , suppose he did have a dog box with S/C/Gears... Hmm, is there any way of building up a standard 1400 box which will have shorter gear set up then the normal ZR box??
I think Forestfighter as a quaife LSD in a 1.4 ZR. I think the gearbox is a R45 and not the PG1, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
A Diff will make loads of difference but the best ones are a slag on a road car.

Our Group N 1400's run a plate diff with lower final drive so it is geared for 120mph.

Plate Diffs are totally insuitable for road use though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts