MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some coilovers fitted today, which I am really happy about. However, on somewhat hard braking I am hearing a new knock like the something is hitting the coilover. Also the springs make some very notable noises when going over speed bumps. Everything else seems fine. Is this just them settling in or is this not normal?

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
I had some coilovers fitted today, which I am really happy about. However, on somewhat hard braking I am hearing a new knock like the something is hitting the coilover. Also the springs make some very notable noises when going over speed bumps. Everything else seems fine. Is this just them settling in or is this not normal?
Make sure they are not touching the bonnet if they are they are not fitted right

·
Rover Owner
3,488 Posts
Is it a regular knocking or a one off 'bang' type noise?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it sounds and feels like the springs are too loose. I will put the car back on the rack and check it all out.

I did check the bonnet for contact, there is a slight depression on the black acoustic matt, but I doubt that the coilover is actually hitting the bonnet.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took off the front wheel today to have a look at the coilovers and my first mess around.

I dont know exactly how they supose to be fitted and adjusted, but it this cant be right.

The issues: (from top to bottom)

The coilovers touch the acoustic mat that is attached to the bonnet to the extent that there is a dimple.

The bearing casing on the top mount is not connected and rattles.

The coilovers came with some alloy mounts that looks like that top of the coilovers are seated in. These were not used.

The springs are loose and there is some play even when just moving them by hand.

The bottom of the coilover has a platform which seats in the hub. This platform does not touch the hub, so it look like it can go in a bit further.

To me and my non-expert eye looks like they were poorly fitted. The shop has no problem and will look at them. However, the shop is owned by one of scuba dive buddies and I do put my life in his hands. So, I really dont want to play evil customer, but give him clear instructions of the problems and what needs to be done.

Sadly, it looks like they tossed the instructions with the box and GAZ does not have any fitting instructions on their website.

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the car back to the shop and basically that did not understand how to fit the spacers in the top mounts. Gaz tech team called the garage and sorted them out and now the car is fine. Im not upset at the garage at all, it is a friend and he never did them before, so there was a bit of learning curve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.