MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking in to getting a closed induction kit but theres so many out there not sure what to get ](*,) but i think ive narrowed the choice down to 4 :grin: so any advice would be great.i was one click away from buying the K&N APOLLO but thought id ask for some opinions first so if any of you have these could you give me your opinions on them thanks

choice 1=Raid HP Carbon Fibre Universal Induction Kit £94.99

choice 2=APIRO - DIAVOLO FORCED COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT £99.99

choice 3=K&N APOLLO CLOSED INTAKE SYSTEM £199.99

choice 4=Pipercross VIPER Induction Kit £250

·
570 Posts
I'd defo get one that purpose-built for the car - never been into universal stuff... plus airflow is such an important part of running well.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What engine have you got? If it is the 105 then any one will do.

Tiapan II is another to consider.

If you have a 160, then it's a harder choice. Never seen dyno's done on most of those, except the Viper whic perfoms well on a VVC up to about 175-180bhp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi and all that (feel a bit atupid goin in the newbie forum and making a topic for it),
So ive been following all this talk on air filters and about 2 days a go i didnt no anything about them but now I understand, exactly, how they work (thanks to the person who explained it). The apiro sounds like a good option, but im just curious as to how much performance is increased and also will the sound be any different.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
hiya mate and welcome, not sure on the exact bhp gain but since ive had the apiro on theres a deffinate increase in power in first and second gear and drives much better at high revs. Sound wise not much as its enclosed but you might just hear a slight roar from it (my exhaust drowns it out thou :) )

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
at the moment ive got a open induction kit on only cost 29 quid got a real nice sound to it but i think i lost a bit of power to 2 weeks ago took the car to disneyland paris and omg after a 1000 miles with it on the sound did my head in ](*,) should of put the standard one back on #-o so hopefully with the enclosed one ill have gained a bit of power back and a little induction noise :grin:

·
Registered
218 Posts
anyone got a vader induction kit or know what the power increase on that should be - i stll cant make my mind up which kit to go for

·
Registered
556 Posts
Vader is a good solution for the VVC engine. Gains depend on what else you have done and how you route the air feed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got A BMC closed kit for my 160. Has made a big difference in performance but still yet to satisfactorily route the cold air feed without getting some heatsoak from the radiator and/or the engine. Fitted fogs rule that option out so asking the question of you guys & girls here. Where have you put yours (So to speak!!)??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Blitz Sonic power, best one available at the minute.

around £280 and sounds mental, can alter the tone and airflow with the movable collar.

Get one, get one now, I gained nearly 8bhp from this alone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm selling an 820 airbox if you fancy going DIY. From personal experience (i have the 820 airbox in mine) it sounds great but makes no difference to power.

That said, I've not had a chance to fully sort my air intake yet... I expect better results once I do!

Andrew

G

·
I have used the original air intake below the nearside headlamp and behind the bumper to feed mine as they have done with ITG Maxogen and X-Power induction kits (pretty certain they know what they are doing). A lot of people shun this as they say that there is no 'Ram Air' effect and they are right! It also means that I dont ram bugs, grit, water, small children etc down the pipe and cause premature blockage and contamination of the filter. The time you want the most cold air is on acceleration, especially from a standstill and then there is no ram air at all. If you route this cold air ram feed pipe too near the engine/exhaust/radiator or have the pipe very long (somrthing you will have to do on the ZR unless you do some creative modifications/pipe routing), then you will suffer from the dreaded heatsoak as the pipework begins to heat up from the radiated heat of the engine when you are stationary.
If you put the pipe intake too low down then you will end up sucking/ramming even more crap into the filter but the worst problem, especially if you dont have a water trap, is that you could end up getting copious amounts of water sucked up into your engine, especially if you are unlucky enough to hit a deep puddle or some such. Water, unlike air is not compressable and if enough gets into your cylinders then as the piston try to compress it, then you end up with a hydraulic lock. This WILL destroy your engine with bent conrods being the least of your worries.

Sorry to go on at length, but I have studied aerodynamics and there is another fact you should be aware of when siting your air intake. If you must have it stuck into the airflow, then make sure that it is perfectly perpendicular to the airflow. If it is at any sort of an angle or a tangent to the airflow, then you will start to get a venturi effect and in the worst scenario, you could actually end up with airflow across the pipe causing suction and actually cavitating the airflow into the intake.

Even with the biggest intake in the world, it will all be goverened by the final size of the pipe into the TH (Throttle Housing). No matter how much air you ram in, this will be the biggest restriction. Imagine a door into a room that is only wide enough to let 3 people through at a time. if there are 30 people in the room trying to get out then going through 1, or 2 at a time is great. If they all rush at once, you will still only get a maximum of 3 through no matter how many there are pushing behind it. so even if there were 3,000 people only 3 at a time will go through. Its the same with the ram air effect. No matter how much you shove in the engine will only use what it needs, the rest will just stagnate (unless you want to start talking about plenium chamber technology and cavitation resevoirs)

To test the benefits of closed induction kits on a Rolling road is almost impossible. There is no way on a static car spinning its rims on the rollers to imitate aerodynamic forces and airflows. There will be no ram air effect and if you used some sort of fan then at best, unless it can simulate a 60+MPH winf there there is completely no point.

Dont know if anyone else has any views. As for the which is best, on a small engine like the ZR has (and I mean this for all of them, 18 is still relatively small)) then the amount of power increase you are going to get from just a filter change is never going to be much. I did a test on a rolling road between an open filter and a standard induction set up but with a performance panel filterin place of the horrible paper OE paper one. The panel gave 2BHP at the wheels more at the top end (6200rpm) and the open filter gave 7 bhp more at the mid range (4200rpm).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'm going to put on an apiro and a stainless system in the coming weeks. I was hoping to route the hose to a bell in my bumper grill for looks. Will this work?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts