MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was telling my brother who is training to be a mechanic that i want a new back box that will make my car sound a bit meatier with power gains if possible although with the amount that i have got to spend i aint expecting to be able to get power gains.
anyway he suggested getting a cherry bomb!wtf is one of these?he said they are really cheap and will make a difference to the sound of my car.
anybody got any info on these?what are they like?he said they are universal fitting, is this true?
any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh right are they eas to fit?and do they make much of a difference performance wise?

·
Formerly Trophynovabasher
3,051 Posts
I had a cherry bomb on my mini, kind of a straight through scaffold pole for an exhaust. used to make a right racket.... load of rubbish... go with a professional stainless system like the guys on here recomend

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is so bad about it then?i dont really know a lot about the back box so what sort of fittings would i be looking at?size?etc..!!
could anyone find me some cheap back coxes that would fit my 105 on ebay and post thelinks up?
cheers that would help me a lot

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Been a while since Ive heard anyone talking about cherry bombs!

I thought you had to have a clapped out nova to have one??

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont tell me that!!i thoght i was onto something here!!!!lol

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Bretty, come to the janspeed meet in March and get xpower or janspeed boxes for £210-£230 and fitted for free

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i homestly cant afford that im only a student and i just bought 17" straights off one of the members on here for £225 so i aint really got a lot to spend. dont know how much i have got to spend to be honest

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
if i was you, Id wait till had the money for a proper job rather than a half arsed effort. It will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Jib 21 said:
if i was you, Id wait till had the money for a proper job rather than a half arsed effort. It will be worth it in the end.
I agree, you will want to replace it in a couple of weeks. If you want somehting to give you more power get a decent one. A back box wont give you much performance gain.

If you want to make it "look" faster come to our RR day and we can sort you out with a tail pipe tip to make it look cool!

Just a thought.... :up:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh dear god NEVER get a cherry bomb unless u wear a burberry cap

get a stainless steel exhust . ask around you may find a second hand one

i have my old one off my Vi tis like a double barrel shoot gun type one made hell of a difference to the noise. but had to take it off casue the tub has different bore size ;-)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right just been down the local car parts place and they sell rage back boxes in there but the bloke couldnt tell me from his book which ones would fit the zr. typical!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
U will be in the same boat with Rage as with a Cherry bomb - they are "universal fit" i.e it requires surgery of the exhaust with a hacksaw/angle grinder, creative use of step up/down pipes and u-clamps. (BTW before anyone says, I know cherry bomb make some model specific boxes, but I am pretty sure they dont do one for the Zed). I would agree with the rest, save up a little, and get a decent stainless box (I got my Magnex back box for 150 from demon tweeks, fitted it myself, and it took about 30 minutes, and 20 of those were gettin the nuts undone!!!!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I totally agree. If your brother is a trainee mechanic it will be good practice for him!!! Free labour!!! Should only take 20-30 mins providing the old one comes off easily!

Save up any buy a decent one better long term.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok thanks peep this is what i love about this website, the feedback you get!!!thanks all for your help so far

1 - 20 of 28 Posts