MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Sleeping
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im getting itchy hands with the mazda and looking to put a carputer in for it but just want to know the average price for a unit really. dont need anything special just for it to run and do the normal things.

looking at ordering up one of these too when i have the money

·
Suck Me Beautiful
11,251 Posts
As rob says. if your able to mount the comp in the car - then build it yourself. but if you want a unit that'll hide under seat or something, then buy it already made.

I built mine myself and cost about 600 notes. thats with a fast (at the time!) CPU, decent RAM, dongles and 2 8" touch screens :)

·
Sleeping
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just get a second hand laptop with a bust screen and stick it under passenger seat.
Yeah nice idea. Could do it that way. Then maybe mount it some way. Difficult where to mount it due to amp under seat for front speakers. Dont want anything fancy really just general music storage, films, sat nav, wifi net n maybe digital radio

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Just get a second hand laptop with a bust screen and stick it under passenger seat.
i did that in the rover and i turned out to be a crap idea in the end.

for some reason the laptop kept going wrong when i had it in the car and there were loads of other problems with it that im not going to bother mensionning.

i soon got sick of it and thought if i was going to do this i should do it properly.

thats why i've made my own and its much better imo.

the biggest purchase will be the screen that will cost around £120

then you need a mb, hd, psu, dvd drive and any other card you might want like graphocs or something

all together i have only spent about £150 (excluding the screen obv.)

if you're going to do it, do it properly, dont do it the cheap was buy slapping a laptop base in. its not worth it trust me

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
I'd not really recommend a lappy for use as a car pc.. There usualyl underpowered, especially if you wanna run video, or audio and sat nav at the same time.. plus your stuck with what you get...

Its far cheaper to get a mini system like shafz.... the imbedded micro-itx stuff is getting amazing, and its cheap.. can build a fully system for £400 without screen...

And that will do everything, including HD ausio/video now

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
The itx ones are usually completely gutless, makes a decent lappy look like a server in comparison.
for incar use they are perfectly adequate

they consume little power, do not get as hot and is cheap for what it is
i have the 1GHz version and i am more then pleased with it.
im not running a full windows xp OS, but a stripped down version "bullet xp", which it xp stripped off all its crap which slows down the comp

for those who have actually seen my system in person will tell you it is not by any means slow

i do agree laptops are more powerful, but bang for buck, ITX ftw

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

im not running a full windows xp OS, but a stripped down version "bullet xp", which it xp stripped off all its crap which slows down the comp

for those who have actually seen my system in person will tell you it is not by any means slow

+100000000000000000

iirc we have the same mb? which i can confirm is a decent speed even with full xp (which i am running untill shafz sends me a copy of bullet :p)

if you use a laptop you are just cutting corners

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
The itx ones are usually completely gutless, makes a decent lappy look like a server in comparison.
yes but like shafz says teh idea is to have a low power entertainment system.....

The ITX boards are getting better and better every week, the latest ones have HDMI, HD audio etc, loads of features on a nice tiny imbedded board...

Also combine this with an 8GB compact flash drive for the OS( either Bullit XP or WIndows XPE) your system will be very very fast....

And to be fair, laptops may seem powerful, but with the right compnents the imbedded boards can be just as good...

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
+100000000000000000

iirc we have the same mb? which i can confirm is a decent speed even with full xp (which i am running untill shafz sends me a copy of bullet :p)

if you use a laptop you are just cutting corners
mine is the slighly powerful hence me selling the old board but tbh, there is not much between them

LOL dude il do my very best to get it out to u this week :eek:ldtimer:

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
thats true berto, all depends on your budget and what you want from a system, you get what you pay for
just a normal itx board will surfice for in car use, not like you will do gaming/video editing on a 7" screen LOL

Every one is entitled to their own opinion i suppose, but just becuase the ITX board looks low spec on paper, it shouldnt be knocked until you have used one :D

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
im starting to price mine up again..... most expensive thing atm is gonna be the screen
ah yeah, the screen cost me the most in my build aswell
since you have a mk2 dash you should have a nice sspace to play with

what size you thinking of getting?

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
thats true berto, all depends on your budget and what you want from a system, you get what you pay for
just a normal itx board will surfice for in car use, not like you will do gaming/video editing on a 7" screen LOL

Every one is entitled to their own opinion i suppose, but just becuase the ITX board looks low spec on paper, it shouldnt be knocked until you have used one :D
We use one at work, and it play videos smooth, music fine, runs windows sweet.... We even use little sumo systems, which use an imbedded AMD geode chip, small but effective. And for starting prices of £55-£200 for an ITX board, you can't go wrong.

ah yeah, the screen cost me the most in my build aswell
since you have a mk2 dash you should have a nice sspace to play with

what size you thinking of getting?
Im probably gonna be going for a flip monitor, as i live in a slightly bad area, and know what the pikey scum are like, had my car broken into twice.. :S :( so 7" most likely

·
Sleeping
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
some interesting points here. thanks guys i may look at pricing things up then i can save. i think first thing will be the screen and controller i posted in my first post. What sites do you guys normally buy your ITX etc from?

·
Registered
585 Posts
erm Im not the cleverest person when it comes to computers but I have a mate who knows **** loads about them....

I bought a mother board of ebay recently, just a reasonable one and was wondering would it be possible to build a computer for the car using that?

·
Suck Me Beautiful
11,251 Posts
erm Im not the cleverest person when it comes to computers but I have a mate who knows **** loads about them....

I bought a mother board of ebay recently, just a reasonable one and was wondering would it be possible to build a computer for the car using that?
yup any motherboard can be used :) u'll just have to get the correct DC-DC PSU for it :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts