MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting really fed up with my Zed!! It keeps cutting out whilst I'm driving. It happend twice about 3 weeks ago so I took it to my dealer who had my car for 2 days. when they give me the car back, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and if it happens again, i need to make a note of the weather!

It happened again, last night, once on the motorway!

Anyone got any ideas what it could be??

All the dash lights go dim and the car goes right slugish and then the car cuts out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thats what it sounds like too mee too, had a metro which used to do that, its really freaky especially on the motorway....
Take it straight back again and again, make a nusainse of your self and they will soon get the message!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the car is in the garage and i have a rover 25 impression till mine is ready.

If they don't sort it or don't find the problem, i am not accepting my car back till they do because it is a danger to me and other people on the road!!

If anyone can think of anything it might be, i would really appreciate your thoughts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd go for the alternator for def, with the lights dimming, or may be a broken cell in the battery, i had that on my old golf gti and it caused loads of problems, even a miss fire, the car ran ok on jump leeds but sh.t on its own battery :confused: still back to your problem the alternator sound the one to me ,
one more thing have you a sound system on your car my mate badly fitted his amp and caused the alternator to short.

·
Registered
141 Posts
DONNA said:
Thats what it sounds like too mee too, had a metro which used to do that, its really freaky especially on the motorway....
Take it straight back again and again, make a nusainse of your self and they will soon get the message!
my metro did that! lol it was a bit worrying when i went up to lincoln from the south west! it got me there and back. it died a week later! [-o<

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
sally105 said:
thanks for that, i'll get the other half to check it over when i get the car back.
I remember you saying your dealer messed you about alot last time we spoke at ponte cruise.

Take it to Farnells in guisley if your dealer messes you about again. I know its a fair old trek for you but they have got to be the best dealer I've used yet. My Zed goes there no matter what. And you might just get a ZR or ZS as a courtesy car, I did! :mrsmiley: :mrsmiley: :mrsmiley:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZRX said:
sally105 said:
thanks for that, i'll get the other half to check it over when i get the car back.
I remember you saying your dealer messed you about alot last time we spoke at ponte cruise.

Take it to Farnells in guisley if your dealer messes you about again. I know its a fair old trek for you but they have got to be the best dealer I've used yet. My Zed goes there no matter what. And you might just get a ZR or ZS as a courtesy car, I did! :mrsmiley: :mrsmiley: :mrsmiley:
The garage phoned me last night and they still cant find anything wrong with it so they are keeping it til tea time today to have another look.

If they still cant find anything i'll take it to Farnells.

Cheers for that x

·
Registered
775 Posts
not sure anyones asked yet when it cuts out is that it dead nothing at all or does she still turn over but not start,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it just cuts out like it has stalled itself and then it starts back up without a problem.

I've got the car back now so I'l have to see how it goes. If it does happen again and the garage don't sort it, i think i may have to sell the car and get something else.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
sally105 said:
it just cuts out like it has stalled itself and then it starts back up without a problem.

I've got the car back now so I'l have to see how it goes. If it does happen again and the garage don't sort it, i think i may have to sell the car and get something else.
Take it to Farnells. They'll sort it. I know how much you've spent on your Zed and it'd be a shame to see it wasted.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sal,.............I absolutly garuntee I know what yer problem is ........................

Either the live feed to the Coil is shortin out .....or ....the coil itself has a split in the wiring .........

Marie's 25 did this fer months .....(Bet it only happens when the engine is hot) ......

The coil heats up as you drive along....causin it to expand slightly & puttin tension on the internal wiring ..it only take a millimetre of a gap to lose yer spark...& boom the engine cuts out ....

To prove it's the coil go buy one (Cost about 25 quid) & tape it up to the old one wiv some gaffer tape ..swop the connections & go fer a THRASH...Get the engine really WARM ....if it cuts out then it's the wiring TO the coil...(probs rubbed some insulation off somewhere) .....if it DON'T cut out chuck the old coil away & fit the new one in it's place ...

Keith J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts