MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you get done for having a loud exhaust i have just got a cat back exhaust and it is v loud just wondering if the police will pull you over for it cheers

·
Rover Owner
3,488 Posts
Well apparently there's no rules stating the maximum spl an exhaust can be on a car. An MOT test station can refuse to give you a certificate if they deep it to be excessively noisey however there's no actual figure, this must purely be subjective.

·
Banned
14,064 Posts
you can get fined and get taken to court if it is over 9 decebels i think same as noise disturbances in a house, same rule applies as noise pollution laws

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Yeah it cant be 9 decibels, thats pretty much silent. The only way i can see how they would do you is to pull you over and do a spot check on the car, and no doubt they will manage to haul you up on something.

·
Registered
886 Posts
i got pulled in 2003 in my swift with a standard exhaust on - i just had a 30 quid over the top tail pipe from halfords and a police car seen it and pulled me and said my exhaust was too lud while i was stood stationary at the traffic lights - he was in shook when i set off and it hardly made a noise cos it was standard with just a tail pipe bolted over it - i should have complained!! but he informed me it was either 90 db or 95 db cant remember which

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
as has already been said, there is no legal limit IIRC, but they can do you for excessive noise polution if somebody complains that its too loud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts