MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Loadsamoney! So shut it!!!
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fo the pc people i have just seen this

firstly we all know DVD are old news now with the advent of Blu Ray BUT Now theres this

i mean OMFG Terabytes on a singel disc!

check it out

News [CD/DVD drives]
Friday 4th February 2005

New industry consortium to promote holographic storage 3:54PM
The newly formed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) Alliance has been established to promote holographic-based storage for a new generation of optical discs. Blue laser-based Blu-ray is already set to replace current red laser-based DVD technology, but holographic storage is getting ready for its spot in the light...
Whereas Blu-ray should enable 27GB of storage on a single-layer disc (about 13 hours of standard-definition television), the HVD Alliance is anticipating discs storing multiple terabytes of data, written at a rate of 1Gbit/sec.

The members of the HDV Alliance comprise Optware, CMC Magnetics, Fuji Photo Film, Nippon Paint, Pulstec Industrial and Toagose, reports the EE Times. The group is seeking to 'accelerate development and standardization of the HVD' system.

According to the EE Times, a technical committee

ADVERTISEMENT

will hold its first meeting next month in Tokyo, to consider specs for 200GB HVR-R (write once) and 30GB holographic cards.

At the beginning of the year the 'world's first' holographic disc drive was unveiled. The Colorado-based start up InPhase Technologies announced a prototype from which it intends to develop a family of drives under the name 'Tapestry', with capacities ranging from 200Gb up to a whopping 1.6TB.

The founder of the new alliance, the Japanese company Optware, would dispute that world's first claim, however. Back in April 2004 it prototyped what it described as the first 'recording and playback device using holographic principles' - Holograms make light work of 300GB.

Even earlier in 2004 - NTT announces holographic memory breakthrough - the Japanese telecommunications giant NTT was pushing the boundaries of holographic storage, using holographic principles of light interference patterns for high-capacity storage devices. Called Info-MICA (Information-Multilayered Imprinted CArd), the new memory is capable of storing 1GB of data within the size of a postage stamp.

Alun Williams

·
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
god know but it will be years in the coming!!!

Blu ray is just out in Japan!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Thats what i mean laser disks fell flat on their arse they were that expensive and now minidisks are failing too with the boom in MP3. But as you say maybe get them her in say five to eight years and cost a fortune.

·
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think what they are aiming at is to replce your hard drives with these as look a few year ago a 40mb hard drive was the norm!

now it 120 GB

how long before a tera is needed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts