MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
right in the near future im going to be doing a full color code on my rover 25 what i want to know is

1.how meny coats of primer will need to go on each plastic trim
2.how meny tins of primer will i need (links to stuff would be good)

what the best paint to use (links also) Q. how meny tins will i need

how meny coats will it need

also the stuff for a glossy shine when do can remember the name

will be doing all black part except the door handle

ie bumper trim
door strips

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
meny is spelt many for future reference...

all you need to buy you can get from halfords, you want get a few tins of plastic filler primer a few tins of laquer and a couple of tins of your car colour... but buy the stuff they mix for you itll match your car better... its not alkways 100% tho but its close.

also buy some wet and dry paper of varying grades

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
im going to be doing this also, from reading tutorials on this i think it is wise to use 2 or 3 coats of each paint;

Primer
Colour you want
Lacquer (the gloss)

i would only use the paints supplied by rover or mg, as they are pretty much guaranteed to be the right colour not a close match. But if you cant get any exact stuff i hear halfrauds can mix you up a can if you tell them the code.

the rover/mg spray tins come in 150ml size, which i dont think will go that far. Im guessing ill need about 2 or 3 of this size to cover just the trim, but i dont really know.

p.s. you spell 'many' like that

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to be doing this also, from reading tutorials on this i think it is wise to use 2 or 3 coats of each paint;

Primer
Colour you want
Lacquer (the gloss)

i would only use the paints supplied by rover or mg, as they are pretty much guaranteed to be the right colour not a close match. But if you cant get any exact stuff i hear halfrauds can mix you up a can if you tell them the code.

the rover/mg spray tins come in 150ml size, which i dont think will go that far. Im guessing ill need about 2 or 3 of this size to cover just the trim, but i dont really know.

p.s. you spell 'many' like that

thanks mate when you do it tell me how much it cost you to give me a idea.
i may even buy the trim from a scrap yard rover 25 do it then put it on the car.

also how hard is it to remove the side trim as i have been told the clips tend to break.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i read in the haynes manual they are glued on, and need to be heated off, didnt really want to take the risk of ruining the panel paint so im guna tape it off really well and do it on the car, hopefully it should look ok, if not ill spray them back to black, no biggy.

i got a few quotes, at my local store is £9 something for a 150ml can of CMU (solar red from rover) aswell as a 150ml can of lacquer, so id probably end up buying two of those so thats £18 - 19 then + a 400ml can of primer i think is no more than £4-5 so under £25. My dad got me some wet and dry from his work so im good there, but its like £2-3 for a crap load of sheets.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are they i thought they were cliped on

so about £30 max for the lot to do it cool may save a wee bit more just so if i need more stuff i have the money

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
just to give you a guide mine is booked in with my local body shop and they are charging me £50 to do the bump strips, corner bump strips, fog blanks and front and rear lower bumpers!
if its going to cost you around £30 in materials i would check out a price with a body shop as they can guarantee a professional finish!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
may do that too mate thanks for the advice

all i want is the bumper strips door strips handles and boot lid handle like the gti has

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can i ask something

how much would a bodyshop charge to do

1. a full respray on the rear bumper
2. take a dent out on the front panal (pasanger) and respray it
3. take a few dents out on the tailgate

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
can i ask something

how much would a bodyshop charge to do

1. a full respray on the rear bumper
2. take a dent out on the front panal (pasanger) and respray it
3. take a few dents out on the tailgate
i think your looking at a good few hundred, cost my mate £140 to get a dent out his back panel and respray that bit, so all that would be at least £200 i reckon probably more like £300.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts