MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am want to do a boot build but i am getting confused on to how you start.

can someone give me a little guide onto how to build the basics. i using mdf as i dont know how to use fibre glass yet.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Draw a rough sketch of what you want then work from there mate. Try be creative and I think you will be amazed as to what you can come up with. You will rarely ever get it right first time so keep trying and tweeking your ideas

·
Registered
237 Posts
i thinking about this the other but them came across an old fast car mag that had a step by step guide on how to do it.

i know this i no help to you but big help to me :p

and tbh all it says is make a few sketchs find out what you want and take your time doing so

what you looking at putting in the build ie sub and amp wise

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i fancy 2 subs 2 amps and a simple design,

how do i make the floor fit. do i have to measure the floor or do i use something else.

·
Registered
237 Posts
been told the best way is take the carpet out and measure that up against your mdf and copy it, depending af a fake floor is being used or not and you should be looking for a tight fit on this as you dont want it slidding around now do you

·
Registered
178 Posts
u can either got the carpet route, or for a more custom option u can cut some cardboard up and then transfer that to the wood.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
u can either got the carpet route, or for a more custom option u can cut some cardboard up and then transfer that to the wood.
liking the sound of that.

do i need to put anything under the flooring like little walls to raise the floor or is that up to me

·
Registered
178 Posts
so far i havent bothered to, if u are just sitting ur amps ontop like i have, then u could put some blocks under it just to secure it all the way around. or if u are putting the amps under a false floor u need to make a wood floor, then some walls around the place and then another wood floor ontop, usually cut a hole to show off ur amp, and if u do this u need to start thinkin bout cooling

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I measured my carpet against a thick piece of cardboard and tryed to slot it in the boot and it did not fit, so how would having a sold piece of mdf cut the same size of the carpet fit?

·
Registered
178 Posts
i bet it wasnt that it didnt fit it was hard to get in? i know mine took abit of shaping before i could get it in and now it is abit small around the edges. think with my next build ill be cuttiin it in half so can put it in piece at a time. and the carpet gives u the general shape then u trial fit it. cut and sand till it fits in niceley. then ull prob end up shapin it some more cause the carpet will add abit of dimension to it

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
suprakings advice has been pretty sound on that last one. basically the best bet is to make a false floor to the size of the original carpet, slightly oversize it so you have room to trim it down. what i did with mine was to chop it in half width ways (rear wheel to rear wheel) and then added some small metal supporting bars to one of the pieces to give a bit of central support to the second piece.

my audio build should be testament to "anything can be done with MDF" but one thing i can tell you is this, the zr boot is not as big as it seems once you start factoring all the dimensions in, so dont expect to be able to do a "simple build" if you are wanting 2 subs and 2 amps in there ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
yup chances are thats a rear seats out job:) ull have to work out the box dimensions to have both subs in a box, ur gunna need the space really for 2 standard boxes but ill leave that to you:)

and catn believe i said something worth while:) ty superspy

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
how much so far has it cost to build?
erm, well the wiring kit was 50 quid, i spent 30 quid ish on the suede, then theres probably about 60 quids worth (or so) of MDF. tried working out how long it took start to finish and i reckong that there is about 80 hours work there (bare in mind it was my first boot build).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts