MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dR0Og said:
Look just like mine! :eek:hwell:

Wonder where that idea came from :-^
you know where that idea came from. you know that you give a lot of people ideas with the work thats gone into your car. you should take it as a complement that people want to use your ideas. full credit to you for trying out all the new ideas when other people havnt got the balls to do it =D> =D> =D> =D>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,532 Posts
Thanks M8.

Believe me I have made some right royal fuck-ups as well, but thats the way to learn. I am not a 'cheque book' modder like a lot of people out there, like you, I want to do it myself, and have the utmost and greatest respect for those that do want to have a go and get thier hands dirty.
I'm certainly not one of those who just chuck it into a body shop/ICE installer etc and then say "Whoo Hoo look at my new mod" Surely that should be "whoo Hoo look at this mod I have just paid someone a lot of money to do"

Sorry, moan over.

I'll have some cheese to go with that whine now :wink:

I suppose immitation is the scincerest form of flattery :mrsmiley:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont think it matters(that means i hope it dont matter) i think. cant see why it would make any diffrence
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont know if there is a how to. i looked at pics of other people who had done this to see where to fit them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
dR0Og said:
Thanks M8.

Believe me I have made some right royal fuck-ups as well, but thats the way to learn. I am not a 'cheque book' modder like a lot of people out there, like you, I want to do it myself, and have the utmost and greatest respect for those that do want to have a go and get thier hands dirty.
I'm certainly not one of those who just chuck it into a body shop/ICE installer etc and then say "Whoo Hoo look at my new mod" Surely that should be "whoo Hoo look at this mod I have just paid someone a lot of money to do"

Sorry, moan over.

I'll have some cheese to go with that whine now :wink:

I suppose immitation is the scincerest form of flattery :mrsmiley:

End of the day does it actually matter? Perhaps people have the ideas but don't have the ability to carry them out and take them to a body shop or whatever... not having a dig at you Nick, but you always seem really bothered about "cheque book" modders, end of the day the car looks good, doesn't matter who has done it. :p



anywway, on topic, those lifters look the nuts :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,457 Posts
i would like some of these for the peril but not sure if i could fit them ,you guys how long to fit these and how easy are they to do .?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Hmmm i don't think i'm that confident aboutdrilling holes and filling in gaps here and there, i'd rather pay someone who knows what there doin, besides i hav'nt got the knowledge to be changing things like switches and stuff thats never been done before.
Thats why Droogs ZR stand out from all the others. You don't get a feature for following the crowd do u
It all comes down to who has the biggest swingers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,532 Posts
Sorry about sounding off at "cheque book modders" but it pains me to see people falling over themselves when someone has an outstanding car that has been created by a company.

Just the engineer in me coming out so just ignore me.

Regarding the lifters, it is a relatively easy task and no it dosent matter which way you fit the lifters as long as you make sure you have enough clearance. If you havent then try them the other way round which might help.

As for a "How to" well once you have got the lifters, then one end is a straight fit onto the wing by removing one of the wing bolts. The thread on the end is identical so that is the easy part. Its the next part that can put people off, and that is cutting a big hole in your bonnet.

This is the part that is fraught with danger and where you can make a real arse of things if you are not careful (ask Muz)

To mount the top connection where it connects to the bonnet, you have to drill a hole in the side of the strengthening web for the bonnet to fit the ball end but then you also need to make a large hole in the face of the web to gain access to the rear of the ball end to fit the retaing nut.

I did consider drilling and tapping the web but the thickness of metal there is not sufficient to take the stress induced there. The best thing to use is a "tank cutter" or it is sometimes known as a "trepanning" tool. It is basically a circular saw with a pilot drill in the centre. Just remember to set the pilot drill shallow enough not to go through the bonnet and to cover the engine with a sheet or some such to catch the swarf. This goes for the inside of the web and you will need to hoover out the samll pieces of swarf from there as well. The now bare metal edges of the holes will need some sort of surface finish restored to stop them rusting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,457 Posts
dR0Og said:
Sorry about sounding off at "cheque book modders" but it pains me to see people falling over themselves when someone has an outstanding car that has been created by a company.

Just the engineer in me coming out so just ignore me.

Regarding the lifters, it is a relatively easy task and no it dosent matter which way you fit the lifters as long as you make sure you have enough clearance. If you havent then try them the other way round which might help.

As for a "How to" well once you have got the lifters, then one end is a straight fit onto the wing by removing one of the wing bolts. The thread on the end is identical so that is the easy part. Its the next part that can put people off, and that is cutting a big hole in your bonnet.

This is the part that is fraught with danger and where you can make a real arse of things if you are not careful (ask Muz)

To mount the top connection where it connects to the bonnet, you have to drill a hole in the side of the strengthening web for the bonnet to fit the ball end but then you also need to make a large hole in the face of the web to gain access to the rear of the ball end to fit the retaing nut.

I did consider drilling and tapping the web but the thickness of metal there is not sufficient to take the stress induced there. The best thing to use is a "tank cutter" or it is sometimes known as a "trepanning" tool. It is basically a circular saw with a pilot drill in the centre. Just remember to set the pilot drill shallow enough not to go through the bonnet and to cover the engine with a sheet or some such to catch the swarf. This goes for the inside of the web and you will need to hoover out the samll pieces of swarf from there as well. The now bare metal edges of the holes will need some sort of surface finish restored to stop them rusting.

see nick thats the bit that scares me along with the muz comment too . happy to pay someone who knows what there doing because i would be scared of making a complete balls up of it lifters would be easy to get but not sure about the cutting of the bonnet though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,532 Posts
Shouldnt be really Stewart. Just look at it this way. What is the worst that can happen? You knacker your bonnet! Should be able to pick another up from a scrappies. Best? You get a neat, useful modification done for next to nothing.

If you are confident with hand tools then this is a doddle, really. If it wasnt then there wouldnt be so many people doing it themselves. As for Muz, well by his own admission, he wasnt certain what a tank tool/trepanning tool was and tried to "chain drill" the access hole with disasterous results. The difficult bit has been done which was working out the right struts to use. If you can drill a hole then you can fit these struts, if not get some struts and I'll do it for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,532 Posts
Good point, I'd forgotten about that bonnet ](*,) Probably find that the struts might not be strong enough to cope with the added weight.

I retract my offer :eek:oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,457 Posts
dR0Og said:
Shouldnt be really Stewart. Just look at it this way. What is the worst that can happen? You knacker your bonnet! Should be able to pick another up from a scrappies. Best? You get a neat, useful modification done for next to nothing.

If you are confident with hand tools then this is a doddle, really. If it wasnt then there wouldnt be so many people doing it themselves. As for Muz, well by his own admission, he wasnt certain what a tank tool/trepanning tool was and tried to "chain drill" the access hole with disasterous results. The difficult bit has been done which was working out the right struts to use. If you can drill a hole then you can fit these struts, if not get some struts and I'll do it for you.
god ive been slow here , nearly got it done for me !!! :-k :-k


but the bonnet and replacing the bonnet would definitely be an issue thanks nick appreciate your retracted offer but you can see my problem. weight may be an issue i dont know is the honest answer but may be worth a try spoken initially to our local bodyshop and hes sure something can be done and im 50/50 about giving it a try but time will tell on this one.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top