MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
might as well put you out of your misery.

Working from left to right of the fixtures with balls on threads.

-those two go on the inner lip of your wing. replace the central OEM bolt with these and a washer too, both sides. they should be an m10 thread. This will mount to the bottom of your gas strut.

-the next pair with the tapered thread can be ignored.

-The next set will mount into the bonnet's outer rib to correspond with the socket joint on the top of your gas strut. The alignment of this particular fixture is crucial. Screw it up and your bonnet won't open far enough for the gas in the struts to have an effect. To fix these you need to drill through the bonnet rib so they sit horizontally, this structure is double skinned once a hole is drilled you will not be able to reach inside and attach a washer and nut(the metal is too thin to tap). Another hole must be drilled through the skin in the right place and large enough to accomodate the task of putting a nut on the thread.

-You should have 4 x socket-ends mounted on female threads. Which you have not pictured. these attach to the gas struts.

-The clips are used to retain each ball and socket fixture.

btw there is a tutorial on this subject , just a matter of swallowing your pride and looking in the obvious place.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
this is where i fitted mine
still trying to find out what that pop rivit thing was i put in the bonnet to avoid drilling the underside of bonnet :)

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
If you dont want to drill an access hole to fit a nut to the back of the ball end then you can always use a captive nut (this might be what you meant S18HAD).

Basically theis is a nut mounted to a flange. You drill a hole big enough to accept the nut and then pop rivit through the flange. These are used extensively on aircraft where you have to fix into a blind area (one that you cannot get access to). The advantages are that you dont have to drill an access hole. Disadvantages is that they take up a lot of room, and you have to drill a large access hole for the nut (can act as a stress raiser and weaken the pivot point), plus the whole assembly is really only as strong as the tucker pop rivets.

·
Registered
466 Posts
iv just purchased some bonnet lifters from TJ and i was having a look under my bonnet and was wondering is the mk2 bonnet different from the mk1 ?

many thanks

Jamesy Boy

·
Premium Member
28,417 Posts
You'll need four altogether mate... the ones you've got from eBay will fit nicely into the wings (remove the corresponding bolt and put them in its place), you'll need to sourcetwo more from another car for the top though... 95% of cars have them and all in the same fitment, have a trip to the scrapyard! I might be there tomorrow actually so could maybe pick you two up.

Also, if your dad does have a thread setter tool, drill one hole in the side of the bonnet and use it as it's a lot tidier than having to drill a second access hole.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts