MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been pleasantly awoken by the sound of my car alarm.:poo: I go outside to see if it was caused by a chavvy that fancied a closer look at the interior but I noticed the indicators were not flashing with the sound. Also that my key fobs were not working correctly and would not reset the alarm. Needless to say I was a bit baffled but ended up just locking it with the key, the alarm hasn't gone off again....yet. As when I did lock it the red flashing light went crazy for a second then relapsed into the normal repeating. Also there was a weird electric motor noise coming from the bonnet?????:blink:
:blink:
Is this the battery gone wrong or dead or is there something more sinister at play.....I hope not!!!! Anyone ever had this?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Just been pleasantly awoken by the sound of my car alarm.:poo: I go outside to see if it was caused by a chavvy that fancied a closer look at the interior but I noticed the indicators were not flashing with the sound. Also that my key fobs were not working correctly and would not reset the alarm. Needless to say I was a bit baffled but ended up just locking it with the key, the alarm hasn't gone off again....yet. As when I did lock it the red flashing light went crazy for a second then relapsed into the normal repeating. Also there was a weird electric motor noise coming from the bonnet?????:blink:
:blink:
Is this the battery gone wrong or dead or is there something more sinister at play.....I hope not!!!! Anyone ever had this?
What year and type MK1 or MK2 car ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its the plain looking ones with two seperate buttons next to eachother.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Does your car have the dealocking on double press of the lock button ?
I suspect you have the upgraded alarm, with the resent downpores there may be water ingress in your alarm unit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it does, think It might need resetting somehow, tried to start it up and it wouldnt. Might have immobilised because of it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking through the manual, it seems to be a "Mislock" but I already have the battery disconnected for charging and now every attempt to put it back on results in the alarm scaring the **** outa me!!!!!! So if it is a door sensor problem how easy are they to get and replace? anyone?

·
Registered
556 Posts
about 10 hours now! been off charge for 7.
Thappened to me no less than a week ago on my mk2...alarm kept goin off and even if i pressed key it wouldn't stop...car wouldnt even unlock with key in door..eventually alarm stopped goin off but still wouldnt let me in...aa got phoned and got in the car in seconds...turned out the battery had gone flat cos i left my sidelights on :cry:

the reason the alarm was goin off all the time n car wouldnt open is because the battery was so low the car thinks someone is trying to disconnect it to break into car. so it effectively dead locks itself and imobilises car.

i believe pressing the unlock key 4 times rapidly is meant to reset central locking n open doors if iirc :yes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers, I can actually open the door with the key so it must be solely to do with the alarm system I think. If it doesnt work tommorow i might get someone out to have a look at it.

Does anyone know where the door sensor is for the boot?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, whats annoying is when i tried to reconnect earlier it went off again, so i took the power off and it still rang out loud and proud for the full cycle without the battery. So it obviously has a back up supply that is triggered by a live circuit. Balls!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If the battery has been off the sounder rings until the backup battery goes flat.
You will need to put car battery back in and try to turn alarm off using the fob.
You may have problems until the backup battery has recharged also.

I don't use my red car much at the moment and have had this problem many times of the alarm going off but you cant turn the damn thing off, usually about 3AM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts