MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought recently MG ZR 160 '03 with HGF.
Head and block have this rusty like color where the metal parts on the elastomer gasket is and I can't get rid of it with brake cleaners and other engine cleaning solutions.
Whole engine in waterways have this greasy rust like thing.
As far as waterways I'm not really concerned, I'll flush system few times but will this cause any problems with head gasket sealing?
As you can see, the elastomer parts of the gasket and firerings are clean but what about rest?
Also, my head is skimmed below the rover's advice of minimum head height (118.75mm) mine is 118.45mm so 0.3mm below. Not much room for skimming to get nice and clean surface.
Any ideas? Or leave this as is?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Possibly just staining from the type of coolant used?, or more likely in my opinion, it is residue from a coolant system sealant (a lot of people get mislead into putting a coolant system 'magic' sealer into their engine in the misguided/over optimistic belief that it will miraculously seal an unbonded/damaged soft silicone elastomer strip (which is the most common form of K series HGF).

You can try cleaning it up with a mildly abrasive kitchen pad (the non-scratch variety designed for use with non-stick saucepans) and WD40, but this can be hard work. Alternatively a light dressing of the head surface with a fine wet or dry abrasive paper on a flat block may remove it sufficiently (or some people have successfully used a soft wire brush attachment on an electric drill to clean up the head face without removing or damaging the alloy).

If the head has already been skimmed further than the recommended spec and/or it needs a further skim, all is not lost - the depth of removed material can be replaced by fitting a Gosnays head saver shim. There are a couple of different thicknesses available and any good head refurbisher should be able to recommend which to use and skim the head to a suitable amount to suit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts