MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get big rim's, i no that people have had 19" fitted to there car, but would like some info on them first. Like how badly does it affect the drivability and ride of your car, can you feel every little bump in the road. also do you get full lock. if lowered 30mm can you still have passangers in the back etc. 19" are a lot of money so want to be sure that i will be happy once i get them.

Cheers

·
Registered
708 Posts
i got 18's on mine no work needed can get ful lock. needs lowering though feels to high like its on tip toes when you corner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mines lowered 50mm on 18's and i wouldn't like to go any lower.. if i did i'd have to put the damping rate up to the hardest setting otherwise they would rub constantly on the arch liners..

perhaps if you got 19's and adjustable coilovers that you could set the hardness on then you may be able to lower your car but i don't think anyone has tried it yet.

the only person i knew of with 19's was tony and he hasn't lowered his at all. so you can run the risk or do some maths with your tape measure. Although its not as easy as it sounds.. remember its not just the size of the wheel (18" or 19"), the offset makes a lot of difference too especially if you're gonna lower it, plus the size of tyres you run on as well.

I have to have 5mm spacers on my fronts to stop them scrubbing the inside of the archs. But this causes problems on the face of the wheel as the front side of the tyre can catch on the lip of the wheel arch !!

at the end of the day its up to you mate, you could ge 19's and have to the spend a lot to get them to fit how you want. or you could get 18's and know that they will fit with lowering. imho 18's look just right on the zr and fill the arches perfectly. so do you really need that extra inch??

Hope that helps?!?!

Dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
http://209.200.11.57/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6915

put 19's on mine today and my ZR is lowered 35mm and has a very very heavy rear install... consisting of 3x12" RE subs which weigh a ton and so my fibre glass it weighs loads.

1.) Still get full lock on the fronts
2.) Thrown speedo out, ie. 64 on the clock is 70mph on the road (10% out)
3.) Looks the dogs!
4.) Handling feels heavier but nothing major
5.) Bumps feel the same to me
6.) It does rub if i fly over a bump at so 80mph, this is a minor scuff noise
7.) do it, you know it makes sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts