MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I'm comin hoommmeee again
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is possible having seen it on a few. My question is, if you wanted this option what's the gen ?

More Expensive than the petrol option ?
Possibly Engine Damaging ?
How is it fed (continuously, one shot or both ?)

I know it is a cheap performance mod compared to the usual tuning options but is it worth it in the long run ? Added to this will uprated injectors be worth while ?

Cheers

Jay

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I know this is possible having seen it on a few. My question is, if you wanted this option what's the gen ?

More Expensive than the petrol option ?
Possibly Engine Damaging ?
How is it fed (continuously, one shot or both ?)

I know it is a cheap performance mod compared to the usual tuning options but is it worth it in the long run ? Added to this will uprated injectors be worth while ?

Cheers

Jay
No idea on the NOS, but the uprated (wingy) injectors require a lot more air than what the standard turbo can produce, so you need either a stage 1 or stage 2 hybrid turbo to reduce the smoke, plus FMIC etc.

Drop in a set of SDi injectors, and you'll see a definite performance improvement.
Did this in my R25 (complete with a re-map suitable for both injectors - sdi and standard R25 ones), and the performance is mega!!!

Pity my fuel pump has given up the ghost tho, but totally unrelated to the remap/sdi injectors i hasten to add.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
nitrous on diesel engines is awesome. the good thing about the way a nitrous'd diesel works is that it is very hard to damage a diesel engine. basically if you have black smoke when you put your foot down (unburnt fuel) then nitrous will be great on your engine. you can pump as much nitrous in as you want (within reason) and it will only burn off as much as it can with the fuel thats already in there, because you would use a dry system (meaning you wouldnt add extra fuel).

if the system was done properly it would be fitted so that it only activated at full throttle, and only when the system was armed on a separate switch. you could have it set to come straight in at whatever your desired full power level is, or you could fit a progressive controller allowing you to adjust the nitrous injection level over time (which is safer to the whole car and more friendly to your tyres, due to the sheer amount of torque the car will develop).

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
nitrous on diesel engines is awesome. the good thing about the way a nitrous'd diesel works is that it is very hard to damage a diesel engine. basically if you have black smoke when you put your foot down (unburnt fuel) then nitrous will be great on your engine. you can pump as much nitrous in as you want (within reason) and it will only burn off as much as it can with the fuel thats already in there, because you would use a dry system (meaning you wouldnt add extra fuel).

if the system was done properly it would be fitted so that it only activated at full throttle, and only when the system was armed on a separate switch. you could have it set to come straight in at whatever your desired full power level is, or you could fit a progressive controller allowing you to adjust the nitrous injection level over time (which is safer to the whole car and more friendly to your tyres, due to the sheer amount of torque the car will develop).
Any idea on cost of a set up for our dervs??

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
oh very intrested in this topic !!!!!!

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
well, a standard diesel nitrous kit from WoN is supposed to retail at £460 quid. thats basically the same kit i was running on mine, but without the fuel pulsoid obviously. that would come supplied with 25bhp jets intially (bigger jets are 12 quid a pair, but they will part ex them too) and a 5lb bottle, which on a 5bhp jetting will last about 2 minutes of continous use, it doesnt sound like much, but its longer than you think when you consider its normally only used for 4 or 5 seconds at a time, (except for on the drag strip of course) any more than that an you are doing bannable speeds anyway.

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
450 quid is peanuts for the kind of power figures you're quoting. Is that including fitting ? How would it improve your 0-60's ?

·
Formerly Trophynovabasher
3,051 Posts
fifth gear fitted nos to a tdi golf, and drag raced it against an NSX, guess who won?

0-60 the golf won, but the nsx soon caught up post 60mph.......

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
what i quoted was just for supply, WoN quote 300 quid for fitting (30 quid an hour for 10 hours) but through my business the fitting would be considerably cheaper.

0-60 i cant really comment on for definite because i dont know enough about gearing on diesels, but to give you an idea....

my zr 120 ran a 16.8 quarter mile without the nitrous, with a calculated 0-60 time of about 9.0 seconds (based on the 1/8 mile time and speed). with a 55bhp nitrous shot it ran a 15.3 with a calculated 0-60 of 7.0

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Wizards of Nos have a good diesel forum on their website.

Something also to think about would be an LPG fogger. Seemingly they open up more power than nos on Derv and are cheaper to refill.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
hmmm, something dosnt sound quite right there mate, as LPG is a fuel. the point behind nitrous is to add oxygen, so you might find you need LPG AND nitrous to get the effect you are talking about.

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what i quoted was just for supply, WoN quote 300 quid for fitting (30 quid an hour for 10 hours) but through my business the fitting would be considerably cheaper.

0-60 i cant really comment on for definite because i dont know enough about gearing on diesels, but to give you an idea....

my zr 120 ran a 16.8 quarter mile without the nitrous, with a calculated 0-60 time of about 9.0 seconds (based on the 1/8 mile time and speed). with a 55bhp nitrous shot it ran a 15.3 with a calculated 0-60 of 7.0

Bloody hell, great stats. How much would you quote all inclusive :group:

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
on the assumption that everything on the engine is suitable (id need a closer look at an L series intake system to be sure), and i could get a couple of you committed to it to enable me to place a minimum order through WON directly, i would say £570 for the standard kit including fitting.

optional extras would be progressive controllers, pressure gauge, bottle heater, the list goes on, if anybody wants me to cover those items in more detail feel free to ask :)

·
Banned
6,158 Posts
do it mate it works better on a devi. was the only thing i dident do to mine and regretted it.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
and there you go, lol

btw, that price i just quoted would be for the first "group buy" if you wish as a thankyou for helping me get my account started properly with the minimum order, if anybody wants the same kit in the future the price would be more like 650-680 fitted.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
hmmm, something dosnt sound quite right there mate, as LPG is a fuel. the point behind nitrous is to add oxygen, so you might find you need LPG AND nitrous to get the effect you are talking about.
I thought that the NoS acted differently with derv due to the compression combustion process?

The LPG acts as a better catalyst under the pressure induced burn. It has a lesser tendency to pre-ignite IIRC. It also leans out the diesel mix making a cleaner burn under normal combustion. The LPG is also a wet shot system, unlike NoS on a diesel which is a dry shot system.

It's been a long time since I looked into this so I may be completely wrong and you do need a NoS system for this to work.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
like i said, LPG is a fuel, so it cant lean out the combustion process in a diesel. the reason you use nos dry on a diesel is because if you injected diesel into the inlet tract it would pre-ignite and destroy the engine. you can inject nitrous and propane as an example where you are adding fuel and oxygen, but adding LPG would just be adding fuel....

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would that be based on a continuous feed with an on/off switch ?

I'm definitely interested. How long do you need the car for ?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
the system would have 2 switches, the first being an arming switch, for you to turn the system on and off, and the second being a microswitch attatched to the throttle body so that the system only activates at full throttle.

allow me to reitterate though, a nitrous diesel system does not add extra fuel, so this will only be any good on your car if it is overfueling in the first place, hense actual power gains cannot be gauranteed, you basically just have to try different setups and see what you get (or get your fuelling turned up somehow)

i fitted my install in 2 days, so it shouldnt take any more than that if you were just getting the basic kit, infact it should be quicker because you dont have a fuel pulsoid to mount and you dont have a petrol line to put a T-piece into.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts