MG ZR Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 105 but because its only a 1.4 everyone jus thinks its not that quick but i have beat focus 1.6 and saxo vts etc so is there anything quicker? what about feista zetec s are they quicker never had chance to race one?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Not the quickest 1.4, but are the most powerful or at least were if i remember right...and you wont have beaten a VTS and youd struggle to beat a VTR, but the 105 is faster in a straight line than even the 1.8 Focus Zetec.

I think the 1.4 Punto is faster, but dont hold me to that. But that would only be on a straight. I dont think any N/A 1.4's could touch the ZR on a bendy road. And i think it could probably take quite a few larger engines cars on the bends due to the stiff suspension and such, but this could be where the torque of the bigger engines come into play...all assumptions mind you.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
you wouldnt have come close to a vts... the vts is more in 160 territory, although after a bit the 160 will start to increase the gap, but should be pretty evenly matched for a vtr...the only differences noticed would be driver skill.

but the focus' are pretty pants when it comes to off the line speed, my first car was a 1.0 suzuki swift, and a mate had a 1.4 focus and if we pushed it it usually came down to skill and who took the better lines so dont compare to them ;)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
And as far as i know, i thought the Zetec S was just a regular Fiesta with a body kit...

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
it is really, but its got a 1.6 under the bonnet, so its pretty nippy.

in the 1.4 category lupo and punto 1.4s are both about a tenth of a second faster to 60, possibly the arosa aswell, apart from that there arent many other 1.4 nasps quicker than the zed :)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
we on fiesta zetec-s now?
theyre not THAT quick... about the same as a vtr in all honesty and ive been in them both so again it would probably come down to driver skill

still not condoning any street racing to find out though im sure :D lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not the quickest 1.4, but are the most powerful or at least were if i remember right...and you wont have beaten a VTS and youd struggle to beat a VTR, but the 105 is faster in a straight line than even the 1.8 Focus Zetec.

I think the 1.4 Punto is faster, but dont hold me to that. But that would only be on a straight. I dont think any N/A 1.4's could touch the ZR on a bendy road. And i think it could probably take quite a few larger engines cars on the bends due to the stiff suspension and such, but this could be where the torque of the bigger engines come into play...all assumptions mind you.
the 1.4 punto is turboed so that why they are quicker at 132bhp standard

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Alright...some stats here on most 1.4 hatches currently sold in the UK...

Fiesta 1.4 Silver 3d 12.3 s 103 mph 78 bhp

Focus 1.4 Studio 3d 13.6 s 102 mph 78 bhp

C2 1.4i VTR 3d 11.8 s 105 mph 75 bhp

Punto 1.4 Sporting 3d 9.3 s 111 mph 95 bhp

Civic 1.4 i-Dsi S 5d 14.1 s 106 mph 80 bhp

Accent 1.4 Atlantic 3d 11.9 s 110 mph 96 bhp

207 1.4 VTi Cielo (95bhp) 3d 12.4 s 115 mph 93 bhp

Lupo 1.4 Sport 3d 9.7 s 116 mph 98 bhp

Corsa 1.4i 16V Club 3d 11.8 s 107 mph 88 bhp

Arosa 1.4 16V Sport 3d (1/00) 9.7 s 117 mph 100 bhp

Clio 1.4 16V Privilege 5d 10.9 s 114 mph 96 bhp

So it is infact the most powerful engine currently, but not the fastest due to its weight. If the weight were reduced roughly 150kg then i reckon it would pretty easily be the fastest 1.4 on the road. My assumption is based on the above stats...

So it is right to say its at the top of the range for speed when compared to other 1.4's, but its not the fastest.

There are quite a few biger engine cars that the ZR105 is faster than, for example the 1.8 Focus Zetec, most of the Hyundai range, quite a few actually. The only thing letting the ZR down is the weight.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I call bull****. A VTS would chew you up spit you out and laugh at you... VTS' will give 120s more than a run for their money in the straights, then proceed to escape as soon as a corner arrives.
Infact, the couple of spirited drives ive had with a VTR have resulted in much egg on my face, can keep with them and pull on them in the straights, as soon as a corner comes however. **** hits the fan. And thats lowered with sticky PE2 tyres.
youre in the wrong place, you should have gone to the saxo owners club :yes:

·
VTEC addict
1,674 Posts
120 = 0-60 in 8.6
Punto GT = 0-60 in 8.0

They are little 1.4s but there turbo'd

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.