MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone chipped the TD, if so where, how much and was it worth it? I'm tempted to use www.chiptuninguk.com has anyone used them at all? (They claim an increase from 100 to 130bhp and 240 to 290Nm).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jacqui_UK said:
YUp it does reduce the MPG! Especially if it's running to rich hey Dave!
Ya does increase fuel consumption but not by much tbh. If it did i would take it off cos i only swapped my 105 for the TD for better fuel consumption.
Id say it decreased by 5 mpg max. However as the above quote states it does make your engine run a lil rich, therefore it will smoke more when you put ya fun down :eek:hwell:
But power will seriously increase. I had a race with a 120 ZS and I stayed ahead all the way, he just couldnt catch up \:D/

·
Registered
82 Posts
TD Tuning

They're fun for sure - just try and catch a chipped TD up a hill. My car has more torque Nm at the wheels than a 115TD has at the flywheel. Which is why it has now come off for the winter... Can't honestly say I noticed any difference when I put it on with my MPG or since I took it back off again.

They do smoke under heavy acceleration as dumping fuel in is (evidentally!) how diesels make their power. Though not as much as mine smoked at Janspeed if anyone is wondering, that was Redex type injection cleaner/conditioner doing it's work!

·
Registered
266 Posts
but is there not a way to remap an ecu so that it increases bhp and IMPROVES mpg as it is making the engine more efficient?? or is that in petrol cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dervdoctor has quoted 250.00 fitted plus vat, with similar figures to the chiptuning people. has anyone tried them. I'm tempted, and might do it in the next couple of months.

Koush

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
BEFORE you spend ANY SERIOUS money.........do this .............

1. Tweek the Turbo ...(See Al re this)

2. fit a X power back box

3. Fit a K&N Induction kit !!!!!

Mine FLY'S......Brill performance !!!!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
apparently the ZR 115 TD gearbox may not be able to take the extra power ! Iv bin askin myself but derv doc knows his stuff !!! Had a go in the 306 n its fcukin fast !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
1. Tweek the Turbo ...(See Al re this)
2. fit a X power back box
3. Fit a K&N Induction kit !!!!!
...your along the right lines, but just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by 'tweak the turbo'? Are you referring to adjusting the actuator?

As for the latter two, any free flowing backbx will be better, but couple it with a decat to notice any proper throttle response gains. It will pass an MOT, and it is not, contrary to popular belief illegal to drive a car after '92 without one - but 99% of petrol cars will not pass an MOT without one.

With diesel, they simply measure soot output, so if your running a well maintained, healthy engine, it'll fly through, just like mine did yesterday ;)

However, despite it not being a requirement of the MOT testers MOT handbook to check for the presence of a CAT, the vehicle construction regulations, available on the Her Majesties Stationary Office website state that it is illegal to modify and exhuast system, in any shape or form, from factory specification. However your not going to be in any bother unless a traffic copper, who's up on the ins and outs of the VCR's pulls you, or you end up in court ;)

The induction kit - if you like thr gruff cotton gause noise, go for K&N, Green etc, if you like the slightly raspier sound of foam, then go for one of those, if - like me you like a whoosing sound, get yourself a stainless steel mesh filter ;) Trust me, sound awesome.

After that little lot your definately ready for a remap, I got mine done by the derv docter, and I kid you not, I've had VTS drivers will worried looks in their rear view mirrors, Beemer 328i Auto drivers unable to overtake on dual carrageways, and hours of fun elseware!!

Whether you get a piggyback ECU or remap, either way, take the advice of those who have had it done, and you cant go far wrong.

Oh - on the subject of PG1 box's - they can take the power, its the masses of torque it may struggle with. If I remember correctly, its around the 210lb ft margue that their officially rated to - but as long as your not a fan of dumping the clutch - which wont make for the best launch at the traffic light grand prix, you wont hsve a problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts