MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions.

Fitted some infinity reference components (mentioned in another thread) in place of crap that was in the front doors to begin with. They really do sound sweet, the only problem is that there aint a great deal of bass response from them. I'm sure we're not imagining it but there seems to be less bass from them than there was with the OEM's.

Here's where it gets strange though, original CD's ain't too bad (tolerable, but could still do with more bottom end), but anything made from a CD made from an mp3 source is frankly a big steaming pile of poo. I don't really understand this as the previous OEM's managed to at least give /some/ bottom end from the same CD's. I'm certain the CD's themselves arent to blame cos they sound just fne on my girlfriends lovely denon hifi.

So why suddenly no bass?

The only thing I could think of that might've caused it was if there was a crossover in place already cos I took the tweeter feed (as I'm sure was recommended somewhere) to drive the infinity crossover. I had a good feel around inside the door first to make sure there wasn't, but I may have missed it if it was hidden away.

It doesnt make sense since there used to be some bass (alright, not much), but now there's hardly any.

?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not looked at a ZR.

If you took the feed for the tweeter and it was after the inline filter, then you would have no base going to your crossover.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There will be an inline filter, but it should be up near the tweeter itself I would have thought.

I have never fitted components into a ZR, so this is pure guestimation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nah, everything's good and solid connections wise.

I wonder if I've maybe connected the crossovers to the head unit witth the wiring reversed? Which would mean + on the crossover to - on the head unit?

Only having messed with actual hifi gear and therefore never using a crossover I don't actually know if this would make any difference. As long as the wiring is the same on both channels I wouldn't have thought it would, but I'm happy to be told I'm wrong.

·
1,626 Posts
THe infinitys should have some bass but not loads

The "crossover" on OE equipment is just a capacitor

You can trace the wires from where they come into the door or just run your own ones!

MP3s will sound terrible because the speakers will be playing more frequences than OE stuff, picking up the loss in quality from the compressed files

Try amping a MP3 CD it sounds terrible!

Just remember the speakers need run in for about 20 or so hours before they will sound great and you shouldn't turn it fully up till after this!

Another possability is your mounting isn't solid enough, did you use plastic speaker adaptors by any chance? These tent to rattle a bit and can can cacel out bass!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that the capacitor in the actual tweeters themselves?

The mountings are solid, yeah it's plastic mountings but they're dynamated within an inch of their life both on the speakers side and on the door itself.

As far as MP3's sounding shite, I know it's a very lossless format and all, but they sound just fine on the hifi which wasn't aint exactly cheap and should and does sound much better than the car setup.

·
1,626 Posts
Hmm don't know then

What size are the components? I know the 6 1/2 inch infinitys should sound pretty good?

Justone other thing do you have the polarity right?
itfthe negative is connected to the positive the speaket will be moving at the wrong direction

1 - 9 of 9 Posts