MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got an 06 1.4 that wont start. When I turn the ignition to ready, it primes as per normal. Then try to start it & it fires for a very brief moment (like 1/2 a second) then stops. If I try to start it again straight away, there is no chance. If I wait a short while & try, it just does the same again.

It has reasonably fresh fuel in it & apparently was running fine prior to this problem happening.
Power source is fine: 14v standing & 9.2v cranking.
No fuel in the pressure regulator vacuum hose.
Needles to say, I bought it as a non runner.

Any help getting it running would be great.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Starting up and then dying almost immediately is often associated with the Pektron SCU having 'forgotten' the code that it shares with the engine ECU to disarm the immobiliser. This can happen if the cars battery has been low on charge, or gone flat and been replaced. This would need a visit to someone with suitable diagnostic equipment to re-match the code in both units.

Another possibility which would cause a misfire, or non-start would be related to the camshaft timing. If the belt has jumped a few teeth perhaps, or a new belt been fittted and the timing incorrectly timed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found that if I continue to crank it, it will repeatedly try to fire every few seconds or so. In my mind this would seem fuel related no?
If the belt had jumped, would the valves not be making contact to which I would hear?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Depends how far the belt may have moved - just a few teeth can lead to the timing being far enough out to prevent starting, but won't be far enough for the valves and pistons to collide. Timing is worth checking, just to be sure.

If some fuel is getting through and causing it to cough, it probably isn't the immobiliser.

Another possibility is a blocked fuel filter (although unlikely to be completely blocked), or a failed fuel pump - you can check this at a joint in the fuel line between tank and filter, but if it has failed it will mean dropping the tank out of the car as the pump is within it (and only accessible from the top of the tank - there is no access panel in the floorpan beneath the back seat like there is in some cars).

Best of luck with solving the problem - these things can be very frustrating until you finally hit on the fault; frustration then replaced by a feeling of great satisfaction at final success :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the timing this afternoon & found that with the cam wheel locking tool in place, the flywheel mark is not quite inline with the vertical mark on the belt cover. I have started to dismantle it all but found that my flywheel lock is the one for the starter at the back of the motor not the front, so have ordered the correct one which wont be here till next week.
Till then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts