MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got my 1000W Amp and now all i need is a wiring kit for it.

I've been looking on eBay and seen one or two kits for sale and I was just wondering what i'm looking for in terms of a good wiring kit, for example is 10 guage good, is 4 AWG good?

I'm not sure, could someone tell me what specifications are best.

Thanks

Mitch.

·
Banned
1,364 Posts
depends on the distance the power has to travel and how much current your gonna be drawing but TBh any 4awg kit should be ample enough for a system of 2-3 amps ill pop a table up in a sec

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nitr0genics said:
depends on the distance the power has to travel and how much current your gonna be drawing but TBh any 4awg kit should be ample enough for a system of 2-3 amps ill pop a table up in a sec
Well 5 metres is usually the max needed and i'm running just the one amp:

http://www.legacycaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=LA695

although for some reason the site has it down as a 1200W amp, but the box says 1000W!! Strange.

And I plan to run my 1400W 6x9ers on 2 of the channels and then to start with 500W into a sungle sub, eventually upgrading to 250W into 2.

·
Registered
326 Posts
quick note for ure self.

im not 100% sure aint done this stuff since i left uni many months ago but max rating is the peak-peak rating im sure.

to get the real power value u half the max rating to get the peak power then u divide by root 2 to get the rms value. which is ure average and true value.

from that as ugot a constant v and know the r load u can work out ure currentconsumption to work out which gauge of wiring u need.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
im running 4awg cable from the battery to the back fuse block then onto the 2 amps.....this size of cable is adequate for what im powering..(PG 350/alpine v12)
if you arnt 100% on the size to be used then pop down to your local ice shop and ask them.......

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nitr0genics said:
dont take this the wrong way but they aint 1400w n ur amp aint 1000w max ratings never go by em
yeah i know, but would that mean i wouldn't need a 1000W wiring kit?

·
1,626 Posts
TBH get o AWG its thick and looks good! Plus you can run loads of amps

Its not about wattage its about current!

·
1,626 Posts
I carn't Ebay is firewalled!
Along with MSN, hotmail. lycos yahoo anything with the word game in it ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts