MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the laws concerning ambient lighting in your car? ie footwell LEDs or LEDs in air vents etc, i would like to install some ambient lighting like you see in prestige cars which turns on when the sidelights are switched on, but would also have a switch in the circuit should i want them switched off.

is there any laws against this though? because its illegal to drive around with your interior light on for example isnt it?

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
in my dads merc it has all ambient lighting etc in footwells, its really nice, really wanted to do it in my zed but wasnt sure how

in the bmw 1series i had for a bit that had lights in the roof which gave the inside a redish glow at night, was real nice too.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you could just wire it into the sidelights couldnt u?

i was thinkin of a few LEDs in the footwells, maybe some in the air vents and just any other random places i can think to put them, would be trial and error to see which gives the best effect.

so im guessing its legal if some cars come standard with it, goin for a black/red theme so i would have red LEDs to provide the lighting and make me feel warm at night :)

·
I'm comin hoommmeee again
1,175 Posts
All you really need do is wire it into your cigarette lighter and have a switch into the underneath storage cave thing, under your CD player (there are flappy plastic bit under it where you can push a switch through.

Tbh it would be easier to do anyway rather than running the wires through to your sidelights.

Add to that, if you do wire it into your cigarette lighter, they will turn on and off with your sidelight switch anyway (not sure why but mine do)

As far as I'm aware blue and red lights that can be seen from outside the car are illegal. Footwell lights are fairly obscure and mine only shine upto about where my 6.5 speaker is on the door anyway, so I wouldn't of thought it was much of a problem.

Safe option is to have a switch on everything. That way, even if you do get stopped, you can apologise, or turn them off before they get there and say your headunit was on bright :thumbsup: rather than be given a producer and have to get a garage to sign it to say they have been removed.

·
I'm comin hoommmeee again
1,175 Posts
I'll add

If you want footwell lighting buy from this chap. I have never seen anything as good as these on the market. I'll post a pic up later, and they're cheap as feck !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts