MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sorry about askin this, i know you've proble gone throught this before with some1 else but, i want to get a filter, i want one that sounds good (not realy loud tho) , give's a bit of a power gain and not to a stupid price. you ppl got and ideas.

thanks chris

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you want one that isn't too loud and is cheap go for somthing like an open pipercross. I have an open k&N on mine and it is just about right in the sound department but also gives me a little performance increase. If you are looking for more BHP you will need somthing like a Viper or BMC enclosed system for about £200.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much of a power increase will they give me. i didt realy want to pay that but if its worth it i will

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
i recommend the apiro ultimo mate, open stainless steel filter....sounds mint and add a cold air feed and you get that little bit extra performance out of it! Best bit only £40........get from icon with our discount

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea £40 sound realy gd. would i realy notice the power gain even if i got lik a viper. and is the cold air feed thing easy to fit??

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
u would notice the extra power with a viper, that adds bout 6bhp mate. cold air feed took 10mins mate.....just have to find a route from the front grill to the filter...........got my going from the bottom grill up........no pics though sorry......that one was taken be4 the feed

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
has any of you guys tried the racex induction filter ????

we sell bucket loads of them ,would be interested to know . at £25, cheap as cheese nice sound to it not sure about bhp increase but made from same materials as kn so similar i would think .everyone to their own but as anyone tried one???

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Personally I run a k&N panel filter in the original airbox. Literally a two minute job to fit.

It made the car more flexible when fitted on it's own, BUT when combined with a blueflame zorst I fitted later, really came into its own.

It doesn't increase the induction noise (which was my preference), but neither does it suffer from heat soak, which is usual with open cone type filters, unless cold air feeds are also installed.

Probably the cheapest option and doesn't affect any warranty.

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
DriveBy said:
Personally I run a k&N panel filter in the original airbox. Literally a two minute job to fit.

It made the car more flexible when fitted on it's own, BUT when combined with a blueflame zorst I fitted later, really came into its own.

It doesn't increase the induction noise (which was my preference), but neither does it suffer from heat soak, which is usual with open cone type filters, unless cold air feeds are also installed.

Just wondering, how come it don't effect the warrenty?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
this is a look at my filter contest :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
yellow-peril said:
has any of you guys tried the racex induction filter ????

we sell bucket loads of them ,would be interested to know . at £25, cheap as cheese nice sound to it not sure about bhp increase but made from same materials as kn so similar i would think .everyone to their own but as anyone tried one???
Be interested in any reviews of this, got any pic's Stewart?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
ZRVic said:
DriveBy said:

Just wondering, how come it don't effect the warrenty?
If you look on their website amongst all their legalese jargon is the following message (this is not an exact quote obviously, just the gist)

Basically K&N are prepared to (and have done in the past) stand up in any court in the world and defend the fact that their direct replacement panel filters would or could cause any engine damage.
They are simply more efficient than the standard paper type panel filters.

They also have all the technical facts and figures to prove the same.

If any dealer were to try and claim that fitting a K&N panel filter affected any warranty claim - simply get the claim dispute in writing and pass it through to K&N. They love it.............

They will be all over MG and the dealer in question like a rash with legal claims for defamation, potential lost sales etc etc.

The few dealers who would be unaware of this fact would be swiftly kicked up the backside by MG, when they became involved.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
ZRVic said:
Does it only cover their panel filter then?
If you go beyond fitting a panel filter, you could run foul of potential MG warranty problems on any claims involving engine damage being caused by changing the air intake.

K&N will defend to the hilt the fact that their panel filters will cause any problems of any kind to any engine. That much is stated in writing with every panel filter they sell.

Not being a lawyer, I cannot honestly say whether they would extend that legal litigation liability to complete induction kits and cone filters.

I suspect that K&N would probably be willing to get involved though.......

If I had a warranty claim on my Zed with a kit on, then I would remove it before taking the car to the garage just to be safe.

That said, I have a four month old Zed with a blueflame exhaust fitted thats been back twice since fitting (admittedly, for bodywork problems), nothing was said to me about the changed exhaust on either occasion.

BUT, if the head gasket were to go, I would get the car home 1st and swap the zorst back - just in case.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts