MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rite lets get this shit clear.

Whats better fitting a replacement element to the origional air box or taking the whole thing out and fitting a open k and N or pipercross with a cold air feed ??

I no enclosed kits are better but they cost ridiculous amounts of money. Also most people fit open filters thinkin there going to get a decent power gain when in reality open filters are shite.

:eek:h:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ask 10 different people the same question and you will get a different answer each time. I have an open K & N on my 160 and I didn't notice any performance decrease, however Im changing to the Taipan2 enclosed system next month for a few extra horses. You can just change the standard filter but it wont make that much difference to the sound and very small power gains.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It would be great if we could get a list of the various closed filters availible and the cost so we could all compare?
Im looking for a closed air one as well.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
the original one isnt that bad, just change the the filter to a performance one, most people dont like this though as there is no sign of a "mod" being done despite it being better than an open filter

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I alternate between the 2.

I have an open Apiero Aeira filter and also a Pipercross panel filter in the original airbox.

With the original airbox and panel filter fitted, I have a smoother pick-up from stationary and some more torque lower down. No induction sound at all though and not very pretty to look at.

With the Apiero fitted I have a poorer acceleration from a standstill and a loss of torque below 4000 rpm. Above this, the engine pulls more strongly and of course you have a nice induction roar. The installation is more aesthetically pleasing too

This is all purely my own personal observations and really needs to be on a rolling road to confirm or dismiss which hopefully with the meet later on this month will be.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have a Greentwister universal enclosed filter!!

I bought it from Steve at Bamshee (http://www.bansheemotorsport.co.uk/) and it cost me about £120 including the ducting and fitting kit!!

See - http://www.demon-tweeks.com/catalog...ODE=GRETW&PGRP=RP088&GRP=RP088&PCODE=GRETW65A and http://www.demon-tweeks.com/catalog...GRP=R010&PGRP=RP099&GRP=RP099&PCODE=GREKFDTW0 !!

I highly recomend this filter, there is a smoother pick up and sounds excellent!! If you are thinking about a enclose filter it is a cheap (ish) option to think about!! If you want anymore info pm me!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ask 10 different people the same question and you will get a different answer each time. I have an open K & N on my 160 and I didn't notice any performance decrease, however Im changing to the Taipan2 enclosed system next month for a few extra horses. You can just change the standard filter but it wont make that much difference to the sound and very small power gains.
who sells the Taipan2 enclosed system?

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So overall what do you thinks better ... standard enclosed systems with a change of filter or and open air filter fitted ??

Poeple say that open filters suffer from heak soak a lot ... wereas enclosed systems do not ??

Since fitting my K and N all i can say is that above 4000 rpm its a bit quicker but all in all its shite.

I would put my old airbox on but it took me ages taking the fucker off especially when youve got to take the front bumper off.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
PAFCbucky said:
who sells the Taipan2 enclosed system?
www.bansheemotorsport.co.uk

:mrsmiley:

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
dR0Og said:
Why did you have to take your front bumper off?
its to remove the oe air intake system, so you can suck in from the grill.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Donna

Please find below prices for the enclosed filters we do.

Green Twister with Induction hose: £122 (Silver, Red or Blue Surround)
Green Twister (Carbon Surround): £160
Green Twister (Clear Surround): £135
Quikshift Taipan2 : £145
Pipercross Viper £250

The performance of most filters will be very similar, I like the
Taipan2 personally, as I have one of these fitted to my V6, but the choice
does depend on what look you prefer under the bonnet. The Twister can
either be silver, red or blue anodised aluminium, or you can go for the
carbon one or the clear one.

P&P would be £7.50 on the filters.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
446 Posts
The above ^^^ is an email i sent to steve at banshee for prices etc, hope this helps peps.

Does anyone know what this typan thing looks like?

·
Registered
422 Posts
so a pipercross induction kit with 2 cold air feeds, would that produce a loss in power or an increase or do nothing but make a nice sound ??

·
Registered
422 Posts
c theres never a straight answer for questions on air filter, no one seems to now, some ppl think they give power increase other think its a decrease and all there good for is making a nice sounds ? come on as no one had a car on a rolling road with and with out a air fillter and cold air feeds and all that crap 2 c

1 - 20 of 44 Posts