MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Magumbo Lover
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often does my air conditioning need re-gassing?

I had it done last summer at Kwik Fit and I think it improved it at the time(though I admit my memory isn't brilliant) but now it just seems feeble even with the air on the highest flow it fails to cool the car. This is particualry apparent when I compare it to my girlfriends 206.

Any ideas people? :cool2:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
AC can actually leak if it isnt used and the seals lubricated. I remember reading somewhere that even in winter it is beneficial to run it up from time to time. Might be that it needs testing/regassing again if you havent used it much in the last year?

·
Magumbo Lover
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Run it a few time over the winter, I think it cools just not to a level you need in the summer so probably didn't notice over winter. I am only asking as a I don't want to pay again for no improvement.

How do people on here find their zed aircon?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
yeah i got Nik's regassed and the guy said to leave it on all the time even through the winter, he said at most you'll lose 10 miles per tank. By using it all the time the pump gets used and it'll not need regassing for a few years

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Run it a few time over the winter, I think it cools just not to a level you need in the summer so probably didn't notice over winter. I am only asking as a I don't want to pay again for no improvement.

How do people on here find their zed aircon?
If i put it on full blast on the window the windscreen starts to freeze

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Kwik fit now offer to make your air con 10% colder than it was before.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Slightly :eek:fftopic: :)oops:) - has anybody ADDED AirCon to a non-AirCon model?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Thats just a pathetic dig at Kwick-Fit

they are actually good at regassing as they gaurante or money back

They fill it and test it.
If you come back they add die to it to test for leaks
If the job isn't 100% satisfactory they give you your money back

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i'd only do it if i was going to do it myself sourcing the parts from an aircon model ZR in a yard then getting it gassed afterwards but it's not a half arsed job
That's what I meant, too.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Thats just a pathetic dig at Kwick-Fit

they are actually good at regassing as they gaurante or money back

They fill it and test it.
If you come back they add die to it to test for leaks
If the job isn't 100% satisfactory they give you your money back
wtf?

Thats what on the advert ! :mad:

·
Registered
8,721 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That's what I meant, too.
well it's do-able, i've debated doing it to my T16 but i'm not sure if it'd all fit in the engine bay.

You'll also have to check if the aircon wiring is a seperate loom to the car otherwise you'll need the engine bay a/c loom and the full car loom. You'll need it's relays fuses etc (the loom with have the sockets on) you'll need the alternator bracket (alternator is same wattage) the condensor all the pipework, both radiators with mounts and a new auxiliary belt. Their may also be one or two waters hoses that need to be changed to accomidate the a/c around the front of the engine but i'm unsure.

·
Magumbo Lover
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I will run it into Kwik Fit at the weekend and see if they can do anything. If they do find a leak can they fix it and does anyone know what sort of money it can be?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts