MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I wanna get an LED strip to go behind the front grill.
Thing is, I know nothing about electrics and wouldn't
have a clue how to wire it up to the battery.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Ta very much!

:xmas:

G

·
I wouldnt recommened wiring it up to the battery directly for a couple of reasons.

you would have no way of turning it off, and it would run your battery flat eventually.

I would recommened wiring it into something like your sidelight circuit.

The problem now is that you will have it on all the time your lights are on, PC Plod might take a dim view of this.

Next suggestion, wire it into your fog lamp circuit. Same as your sidelights but you have a little more control unless you are one of the Chavs that drive around all the time with your foggies on regardless of weather conditions under some misinformed idea that it looks cool, whereas in reality it just advertises to the world that you are a dick-head.

So, I reckon that the best and safest is to wire it into your sidelight circuit with a seperate fuse (or better still use a relay), but have a switch in the car to operate them independantly.

You could still wire them directly from the battery via a fuse and switch, but the problem with this is you may forget they are on and run the battery flat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
like this you mean?

just wire it to a ciggie plug inside your car and then you can just pull out the plug from the lighter when you dont want them on.....

...to get the wire inside from the bonnet you need to cut the rubber grommet on the bulkhead and push the wire through. The grommet is here:

follow the arrow down to :

push the wires through there and they will come out under your glovebox.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr C - thanks for your advice!

Light Sabre - Nice one mate - thanks for your help ... (oh, and I'm not a chav! Those wacko's driving round with their foglights on do my FOOKIN head in !!! :wallb:

ZR__LINS - what can I say mate? Live long and prosper!! Thanks for the pics and the talk-through. I have seen the strips with the ciggy lighter but didn't have a clue how to get the lighter bit through to the cabin of the car! I do now!!

That's the good thing about forums - if you don't have a bloody clue, guaranteed someone else does!!

:xmas: all of ya !!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

neon kit fitted in the grill instead of having one on the back of the car.

wired to a switch by the drivers seat and on a relay to the side lights.

·
Registered
905 Posts
mite sound a stupid question but how do u get hold of one of the cigy lighter plugs thats a superb idea mate i mite ave to do it myself now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All sorted! :mrgreen:

Got an LED strip (about 15 inches) from motorworld for £20 with all the leads. Took a while to get the front bumper off (found it easier to remove the wheels) and attached it to the strut between the bumper and the engine fan. Wired it to the battery (with some help from a mate!) and wired the switch through to the cabin. Looks sweet!!! £20 and 3 hours work WELL worth it !!! Looks exactly like ZR__Lincs above. :up:

·
Registered
314 Posts
nice one mate.... get some pics up.

I have never managed to get one that shows it as intense as it actually is or quite the right colour

1 - 18 of 18 Posts