MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put some oil in my car. Xpower make oil and I was wondering if its any good (Its Semi Synthetic)
has anyone used this or know much about it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone at my work has just told me to use fully synthetic cause my car isn't 2 years old yet and has only done 10,000 miles
I don't have a clue!!!
Help!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well castrol gtx magnatec is what i use and shop around cos like the grim reaper your only paying for the name, just like a Beemer.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
spanner385 said:
just like a Beemer.
no when u buy a beemer you accully get a certificate saying you are entitled to a full frontal labotoby and a certificate saying you offically own the road.

and as steve said you are only paying for the name

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spanner385 said:
Well castrol gtx magnatec is what i use and shop around because like the grim reaper your only paying for the name, just like a Beemer.
Is that Synthetic or Semi Synthetic?

·
Registered
879 Posts
MG specify MOBIL 1 which is as good as u will get.
I also use SHELL OPTIMAX petrol what a diffarence that makes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
cwardman said:
I also use SHELL OPTIMAX petrol what a diffarence that makes.
I have used Optimax for a few years and found it makes a huge difference. However, tried BP Ultimate and it made my car rather sluggish i thought. Could just be me being paranoid :blink2:

Shell also do oil called Helix Ultra (blue bottle). used it in my old car and found it to be pretty good. Think its semi synthetic and could be much cheaper than castrol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
cwardman said:
WRONG!!!!!

MGR may put stickers in saying Mobil1, but they will never ever put it in the K4 engine. There is a semi synthetic version that will be used. The sticker is just advertising for Mobil.

Use a good quality 10w40 SEMI synthetic oil as recommended by MGR, Powertrain and Xpower.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Adrian said:
[I have used Optimax for a few years and found it makes a huge difference. However, tried BP Ultimate and it made my car rather sluggish i thought. Could just be me being paranoid :blink2:

Shell also do oil called Helix Ultra (blue bottle). used it in my old car and found it to be pretty good. Think its semi synthetic and could be much cheaper than castrol.
Shell Helix is what dealers used before the switch to Mobil oils. Is a good oil too.

Optimax has no effect on power for the K4 engine whatsoever, but does make it feel a little smoother and will give a slightly better economy.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
I swear mg use 0-40w oil?

·
Banned
2,106 Posts
Nuttymoo said:
spanner385 said:
Well castrol gtx magnatec is what i use and shop around because like the grim reaper your only paying for the name, just like a Beemer.
Is that Synthetic or Semi Synthetic?
At my dealer's they use Castrol Magnatec if you check your hand book it says a good quality 10/40.

·
Registered
242 Posts
MG dealers use whatever brand they are getting the best deal from, my local one used Castrol Magnatec until they started being able to get Shell Helix cheaper. By that rule they will never use Mobil unless you specify it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I check my oil once a month and the last time it had any in it was June last year on its service. Its now down to the last X on the dip stick so I thought I'd top it up.
I'll stick with Semi Synthetic then, Ta!

·
Registered
556 Posts
6k or 6 months changes are well worth while if you drive enthusiastically. Neglected VVC's tend to get rattly hydhraulic tappets if left.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts