MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got it back today after it got painted, theres fixings underneath which i know on its own are no good, i have some tigerseal but the problem is getting it to sit tight, i need pushed in at the top to make it look as one with the bumper and not really stand out, is there a tutorial around for this? cause proping it from underneath is ok, but to try and use something to press it around the top edge i'm afraid of damagin paint! any one done this succesfully here? i had been lookin for the spoiler bib for last 6 months, now that i finally got it i dont want to barry white all over it! thanks!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
i am in the same boat as you mate i have just got mine sprayed and want to no how pepole have fitted them.
i was going to do it the same way i fitted the side skirts tigerseal and while thats drying i have some strong as fook tape duno what it is its like a clear greenish anyways it doesnt pull the paint off but its hold things in place very well.

(oh a bit off topic how much did you pay to get is sprayed?)

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
watch out for tape as the longer it sticks the more it sticks.its easyer if u take the bumper off.Use masking tape rap it right under the car and high up,park near ur garage and use a block of wood wedged off the door?

imo if you want it lookin right take it to body shop i can't see it costin a lot :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey cheers for the advice, it cost me nothin cause a mate a mine sprays cars from time to time, into restoring old car's, how long does tiger seal take to dry? see when i got my zed the splitter was off it but there was 2 strips (what looked like that double sided sticky pad stuff) but it run 1 along the top and 1 along the bottom of the bumper, and it was hard stuff to get off, i was thinking of getting some of that but the closet i have found is crap my cum would stick it better and its about 3 mm thick, and i'm afraid of it pushing the splitter out of line, i'm worried about using tiger seal near the edge incase it pushes out on to the bumper and then i really am in poo, anything worth in halfords as i am goin there in 10 mins?

·
Registered
622 Posts
for my sideskirts i used black silicone so you coulsnt tell if there was a little bit of a gap and acombination of blocks of wood wrapped in cloths, car jacks with cloths and a few lenghths of wood with a rag on the end wedged up against the garage wall and my car, but if you take the bumper off and turn it so its pointing up then you will have gravity pulling the bib on to the bumper so you could use a few strips of masking tape to hold the ends in and maybe even sum weights pressing it onto the bumper, hth nathan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers mate, bit cautious about black silicon , i used it too, for the same principal, when doin my side skirts, 3 things,
1, when ur cleaning the car it start's to break loose,
2, when it is sitting for around 6 month with it exposed to nature it tends to mould.
3,cant paint over it if needed

but yeah i'll take the covering things in rags into account mate, so far people that are doin similar things like the old parking tight to a wall, but i dunno, and i dont fancy removing me bumper,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so u reckon cover the top edge on the splitter with tape and a bit of the bumper in tape and just apply plenty of tiger seal and lots of pressure?
as b4 how long roughly does it take to set, tiger seal?

·
Fake Bans FTW!!!
1,482 Posts
cheers mate, bit cautious about black silicon , i used it too, for the same principal, when doin my side skirts, 3 things,
2, when it is sitting for around 6 month with it exposed to nature it tends to mould.

but yeah i'll take the covering things in rags into account mate, so far people that are doin similar things like the old parking tight to a wall, but i dunno, and i dont fancy removing me bumper,
removing the bumper is easyer than you think

do a search :)

·
Registered
4,488 Posts

it's about 18 bolts i did have a picture

so u reckon cover the top edge on the splitter with tape and a bit of the bumper in tape and just apply plenty of tiger seal and lots of pressure?
as b4 how long roughly does it take to set, tiger seal?
just pull the tape up 2 the bonet get the wide maskin tape! if u fail the tiger seal is easy to get off just cheep checkin on it makin sure the tape is holdin.

it say 24 hours to dry i would leave it as long as poss

removing the bumper is easyer than you think

do a search :)
yer iv posted a picture were it shows all the blots before

·
Registered
395 Posts
tigerseal takes 24 to fully set dry and become solid. no worrys if it comes over the edge as with some bug an tar remover and a bit of effort it comes off. the tape that you where on about is repair tape and you can get that from halfords for £4.99

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice one guy's , cheer's for the help, i have now a better idea of how i will approach it.
Thank's again any more tip's fire them at me, i'll take picture's and post them if it come's out good, hopefully it will help other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.