MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Pretty new here.... im buying my first ZR tomrorow! Red, 5 door, 1.4, nice... 2002 etc...

Just wondering if you recommend any additional security features? Disklok? Stoplock? etc

Dont think i want to go down the "tracking system" road

Any suggestions - greatfully recieved.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
81 Posts
halfords do sell them im sure dont they will be cheap from there tho. personally i would go for the disklok thats what i have think u can pick them up for around £70 now. personally i think its the best lock on the market :up:

·
3,634 Posts
Yer say yer ZR is 2002 !!! I had a zr in 2001 and by the time i got my second in 2003 they had put a more secure immobiliser on them !!! Someone else might know exacly what was done am not sure but it brought my insurance down a hell of alot !!! Might be worth looking into !!!

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
yup, the pre 2003 or 2002 late had an easy to get around alarm, which was a cat 2 (thatcham) but the newer zeds have cat 1 alarms.

·
1,443 Posts
Shifty, can't you just unscrew the gearknob and lift the clamp off the gear stick??

Doesn't seem very secure to me!

Disclock is your best bet, expensive but the best and will cost you about £60-70

·
Registered
556 Posts
The immobiliser hasn't changed. The locks were improved along with the alarm which allows it to go to a CAT1

CAT2 = approved immobiliser
CAT1 = approved immobiliser and alrm/locks

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
yea, i got immobilisers on my brain at the mo, doesnt the CAT1 have deadlocks on the doors or something?

·
Registered
708 Posts
get the clifford G5 mate with proximitie sensors and also anti tilt and jacking point sensor alarms.

its a good alarm and the insurance companies knock a few quid off for havin it

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Disklok is what I use. Its supposed to be the best but its bloody heavy and you have to stow it somewhere. I stick it under the passenger seat most of the time or in the boot bag when the car is full of people.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
My 160 is a 2002 and the standard alarms were easy to get around. I upgraded mine to a Toad Ai606 with anti theft sensors on the wheels, well worth it for peace of mind. I also use a normal disc lock when parking in certain areas ;)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Mines a dec 02 but 03 spec, mines got a cat 1 alarm immobiliser.
mines a nov 2002 but its the 2003 spec also, so its somethin worth lookin into as its not always clear cut when the models for each year were on sale! :up:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The rota Disklocks are OK, they are real fiddly to get into and the thieves are in full view while they are doin it, so they don't like em too much.

I use one as well, even though mine has the latest spec cat 1 alarm/immobiliser.

They do buy you some time at least and might just deter the casual chavvy dickhead from breaking in, only to find they couldn't start the car anyway, as they are a very visual deterrant.

BTW, Mitchy - The gear lever lock on Shifty's motor is not that cheap crappy type that also jams the handbrake on, that used to be sold for about a tenner a few years back.

It does lock the car in gear, a bit like Saabs used to do, but the body of the lock is hardened and securely fastened to the transmission tunnel, so pulling the gear knob off would have no effect, ya still couldn't move the lock or gearlever.

They are usually Thatcham approved.

They should be fitted by an approved technician and all the fixings should be hidden and secure.

(I think - at least thats what it looked like when I saw it) :up:

(Ya know what it's like up in Geordi land, can't be too careful......... ;) )

·
Loadsamoney! So shut it!!!
4,103 Posts
easy answer is most loacks are pretty useless if a pro brakes in so the answer is!

gun down 3 Chavs so the mates see you do it then tell them if your car is not how it should be more will die! thus making you car safe and saving us from a few chavs! everyones a winner!

G

·
Original ZR's were cat2 Thatcham, latermodels are cat 1 with deadlock facility amongst other improvements (internal microwave sensors fitted across the range).

Ask your Insurance company if they offer any discounts for improved alarms theft deterrent and maybe go with one of them. Clifford do some pretty spectacular kit and maybe tracker can be a good incentive (wont stop it getting nicked but might help with its recovery. Not infallable as my sister found out)

Bottom line is that if a pro wants it then he will almost certainly know how to get round any of the current batch of alarms/immobilisers. They are only a deterrent anyway in the hope it will make them more likely to looik elsewere for easier pickings

1 - 20 of 21 Posts