MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy! just got my new rad on and all bled in etc.. everything was hunky dork for about 50 miles, till by temp guage shot up to just about half, so i dipped my clutch, pulled over on the m6 to the hard shoulder and turned the car off. popped the bonnt and there was steam everywhere. not good! and, all of my coolent was making its way to the ground. I had some spare in the car, so i put it in to find the leak if it was a hose that had popped off, it wasnt. It was pouring out and dribbling off the sump. decided this wasnt good so called the AA.
so i stood around for an hour in the fooking cold and spitting rain too scared to get into my car incase someone in a HGV ploughed into it lol (whising they would so i could get a new car). the AA came, and he said HGF, so i was like, nooo, waterpump, so he had a look again and it was. got home, had a look at my car, had a proper look at my car and it wasnt my waterpump! soo fooking happy its not. Its just a little rubber gasket type seal thing has blown off the thermostat housing. Well, a pipe is reduced to accept the housing, and this rubber ring seals it all. Its just blown right off lol. hmm.

So yea, pictures!

As you can see, the rubber ring is just hanging out..

For those who dont know where we are looking. we are looking at the back of the engine, just below the inlet manifold.

down there!

So, does anyone know if i can re-use the seal and just pop it back in? and put some sealing agent around it? or will i need to replace it? im really not sure. The pipe could be cracked at the bottom, ive not had a good enough feel around. Tomorrow looks like it will be spent fixing the car... yet again!!

*edit - im going to go and push it back in now if i can, so it doesnt warp the plastic pipe anymore than it might have done*

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
i really hate it how whenever there is a problem with a k-series overheating the AA etc just go "oh its HGF"

lol, they said the same to me i was like umm i doubt it.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
You need to unbolt the steel pipe from the back of the engine 2 10 mill boltls then the piece where the ring is hanging out will just pull off..Also the part with the pipe will pull out of the water pump.This bit contains the thermostat..As long as the o ring is undamaged it can be reused...Just put a smear off oil on the o ring so it all pushes back together correctly :)

Looks like when the thermo was removed the o ring was no located correctly as it's impossibel for it to pop out.

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ andy. does this tie in with my theory below?

lookin at the first pic (the glittery stuff) looks like k seal has been added to the water
god knows. i did put some rad-weld in the other night to try to fix my rad.. but it didnt work, and i had to replace it yesterday.

Just had another look at the car, the rubber seal is back in its seat as it appears un-damaged and not deformed. I think i may have also found out why the hose blew off. I dont think the the hose is supposed to be able to move ONCE it was been screwed down. Look back to the first picture, and to the bottom right, note the absent nut!! **** sake! this is either down to the garage who fixed the car then the gearbox fell out.. or its down to weston. Either way, im annoyed, but releived :)

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i really hate it how whenever there is a problem with a k-series overheating the AA etc just go "oh its HGF"

lol, they said the same to me i was like umm i doubt it.
well its the first thing i would say aswell tbh!! this guy was a proper diamond tbh. reccomended me to this thing the AA do. for £67 a year they cover you against all major engine component replacement and renewal etc.. kinda like car insurance! it will cover headgasket faliure aswell! you pay a 25 excess to get it fixed and they just sort it out for you. Doesnt cover clutches and stuff tho.. im so getting that. both my gearbox, my rad and this would have been coverd by it lol. can make upto 5 claims in a year.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
^^ andy. does this tie in with my theory below?

god knows. i did put some rad-weld in the other night to try to fix my rad.. but it didnt work, and i had to replace it yesterday.

Just had another look at the car, the rubber seal is back in its seat as it appears un-damaged and not deformed. I think i may have also found out why the hose blew off. I dont think the the hose is supposed to be able to move ONCE it was been screwed down. Look back to the first picture, and to the bottom right, note the absent nut!! **** sake! this is either down to the garage who fixed the car then the gearbox fell out.. or its down to weston. Either way, im annoyed, but releived :)
You need to flush the system and take the thermo housing apart and reseat the o rings...Then get a bolt in the pipe..It prop blew apart as it's now got pressure in the system due to the new cap :)

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Least its teaching you to fix all these things for yourself :D soon you will be an expert!!!
tell me about it. im glad im learning all of this. just... id rather buy an old £200 rover 416 or something so i could learn in a car i dont need to get around in.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
lol true, awww i feel for you man :( we will have to get another manchester meet sorted still havent met you yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts