Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to 'ThumpJunkie' for this...

A member on here asked me to write him a basic How To guide on fitting lowering springs, so thought I would post it here for the benefit of anyone willing to give it a try themselves :)

Stuff you'll probably need is in bold.

1) Loosen road wheels.
2) Jack up front of car and support on axle stands. Remove front road wheels. Chock rear wheels and make sure handbrake is applied.
3) Using an appropritae ratchet or spanner, undo 12mm (IIRC) bolt(s) holding brakeline to strut.
4) Undo 15mm pinch bolt at bottom of strut. Breaker bar is very helpful here!
5) Working in engine bay, using an appropriately sized allen key/bit and spanner (apologies but I cannot recall exact sizes off the top of my head), save yourself some hassle here by loosening the middle top suspension bolt. Do not fully remove it just yet.
6) Undo 3x 15mm bolts at top of strut.
7) Wiggle that badboy out of there! It may help to undo the anti-roll bar bolt. Removing the strut from the hub may also be made easier by levering the hub open by hammering a large flathead screwdriver into it (at the rear of the strut).
8) For safety, spring clamps are a good idea!
9) Remove top suspension bolt.

10) Chuck new spring into strut and tighten top suspension bolt using allen key and spanner.
11) Slide strut into hub.
12) Tighten 15mm lower pinch bolt.
13) For ease, use a jack under the hub to raise the suspension into place, and tighten 3x 15mm bolts at top of strut.
14) Refit brakeline bolts.
15) Repeat for other side, replace and hand tighten road wheels.

16) Jack up rear of car and support on axle stands. Also, support rear axle with a jack or third axle stand, otherwise it'll drop when you undo the rear suspension! Remove rear road wheels, chock front wheels and leave the car in first gear.
17) Working in boot, remove side carpet trim with a Phillips screwdriver.
18) Again, to save hassle later loosen the middle strut bolt using appropriately sized allen key/bit and spanner - please note, these parts are different to the front equivalents, so different sized tools will be required!
19) Undo 2x 15mm top strut bolts.
20) Undo 15mm lower strut bolt using a breaker bar... a good soaking in WD40 beforehand will help, as will a decent six-sided 15mm socket.
21) Remove strut, clamp springs and remove middle bolt.

22) Chuck new spring into strut and tighten top suspension bolt using allen key and spanner.
23) Slide strut into hub.
24) Tighten 15mm lower pinch bolt.
25) Redo and tighten top 2x 15mm bolts.
26) Repeat for other side, replace and hand tighten road wheels, lower car, fully tighten road wheels, replace boot carpet trim.

27) Take the car for a run and check for any knocks! If you hear anything it's probably 1) your exhaust hitting the rear axle due to the two now being closer, 2) the brake disc surround rubbing on the disc (just push it back into place if you've accidentally bent it), or 3) you've forgotten to tighten your wheel bolts!

HTH, if I've missed steps out let me know and I'll update this guide as it's difficult to remember everything without actually doing it, especially when you're on the tailend of a killer migraine :slap:

P.S. There is an easier way to swap the springs by letting the car do all the work and without the need for spring compressors, but I'll let you figure it out yourself ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.