MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/girls

I discovered this evening that my ZR160 needs an oil top up.

I read somewhere on here that using a fully synthetic oil was a good move and that Castrol GTX magnatec was ok.

Is it ok to top up with this without knowing whats in there already? Is there another type I should try instead?

Any help much appreciated.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
No, mixing oils can do more harm than good. Use the same oil as whats already in for now but when it comes upto a service, get your own oil and take it in with the car. When I checked my oil, there wasn't any in it at all! It'd used all the oil completely that the dealer had put in. So i filled it up with GTX magnatec, has been perfect since.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mobil 1 thats the stuff emptyed the dealer sh.t straight out and banged this in before i did any more miles, used it for years, if you ask your dealer when you have the service you can sometimes pay the extra cost and choose the oil you wont as long as they agree its as good or better than theres, my dealer said he would do this next time for me =D>

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You can mix oils as long as they are the same type, it is not ideal to mix mineral oils with synthectic oils.

I would use a decent semi synthectic, or fully synthectic, and ideally you want a 10W/40.

Magnatec is actually quite cheap for an oil, but it is recommended by MG Rover, as is quite a good oil.

Steve

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
I got some performance oil that is like 0-40w i think. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Always used magnetec. I tryed bp oil 0w-40 in my metro and castrol rs 0w-40 and it ran best on the gtx. Mind you it did have 129,000 miles on it. not bad for a 1.1 K series metro that i managed to get to 120mph on a big ass hill!!!

(lost a side repeater though!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone - it was a bit urgent so I went with the castrol for now. It will need a service in Feb so I might ask about the X-power one then.

Does anyone know anymore about it?

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Id like to know about x-power oil to tbh, sounds intriguing...

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
Silver MG ZR said:
rover mg and janspeed recommend mobil 1
so it's upto you
Thats the stuff they put in mine and it drinks the bloody stuff! Put GTX Magnetec in and its been fine ever since.

·
Banned
2,106 Posts
4ttwo said:
Thanks everyone - it was a bit urgent so I went with the castrol for now. It will need a service in Feb so I might ask about the X-power one then.

Does anyone know anymore about it?
I will put money on that it's just castrol or something with X power stuck on the can,then double the price.MG/ROVER can't make new models let alone set up an oil company.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Powertrain do NOT recommend fully synth for the VVC or K4 engine. Semi synth only.

As they make the engine it should be sound advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Powertrain do NOT recommend fully synth for the VVC or K4 engine. Semi synth only.
Well...didn't know that...at my local dealer they use a fully synth oil...if what you say is right why do they do that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
im my engine bay there's a sticker saying that mg reccomend mobil 1 fully syn oil, so i'd go with that mate if i was topping up, expensive but im guessing it will be the best u can get for u engine

1 - 20 of 26 Posts