MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is bein dropped now 60mm which i thought sweet as until i tried gettin insurance and most companies limits is 50mm somethin about the brakes dont quite understand can someone explain

·
570 Posts
Just tell ya insurance it's only 40mm.... they have no frame of reference to compare the original height anyway so how will they ever know......

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Kevy D said:
Just tell ya insurance it's only 40mm.... they have no frame of reference to compare the original height anyway so how will they ever know......
Just take the OE springs and compare them in the case of an accident! Trust me if they think something don't add up they will find out...

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Kevy D said:
Because in the unhappy event of a claim, they send an assesor who is a trained automotive expert and they will look for ANYTHING that is not in the insurance declaration and that deviates from the OE fit that has not been declared.

This will then give them an escape clause to refuse you insurance and reject your claim.

·
R6 Owner
585 Posts
Seems a bit odd from my experience,

They didnt even ask how much mine was lowered by, they just put lowered on the form, however they did want proof that it had been fitted professionally.

But saying that they were running out of room on the "modifications" sheet when we got to that bit

Maddsy

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
TBH this might sound silly, but yes.

They coulkd claim that by altering the car from the norm, it makes it stand out and so therforte more attractive to the lowlife.

That was the reason they gave me for bumping my insurance up when I declared my sanke eyes rear lights.

Mind, you all depends on the insurance company! The 'cheaper' you go the more likely they will try to wheedle more out of you and wriggle come claim time.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
First thing I would check is how they are lowering it, there are only 35mm lowering springs for the ZR on the market as far as I am aware, if they are lowering it by 60mm, this will only be done in one of two ways,

1: Fitting Coilovers, but these are £600+ and are you expecting to pay this much.

2: They will cut a 35mm spring and then fit it, this is extremely dangerous and should not be done, as if you have an accident it will be very evident and you will not get an insurance payout.

60mm is likely to cause all sorts of problems with your driveshafts, even causing them to pop out, so think logically before you agree to this.

Steve

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
mike4 said:
so should i declare my xpower graffix then? or not worry?
dR0Og said:

They coulkd claim that by altering the car from the norm, it makes it stand out and so therforte more attractive to the lowlife.

That was the reason they gave me for bumping my insurance up when I declared my sanke eyes rear lights.

Mind, you all depends on the insurance company! The 'cheaper' you go the more likely they will try to wheedle more out of you and wriggle come claim time.
I agree with Nick! Ive heard that some insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying.... even heard a story (dont know if it is true) that a company tried to say a car was modified cos they had changed the valve caps!! Sounds daft but is it worth the risk..... :-k

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
there must be an independant body, to govern the insurers payout otherwise they could say, by fitting different wiper blades they were slightly bigger and could impare vision. Someone mst be in the middle to say, wait a minuet thats bs you have to pay out?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i no they said about it doin something to the brakes over 50mm
but i finally got good deal on insurance not like 3k where some people quoted, only 1100 and low excess and after all that i rang up company doin my car to see wot springs they got and they said they've decided to lower it 35mm now on avo springs" cheers for tellin me, didnt affect insurance now

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Gordy said:
mike4 said:
dR0Og said:

I agree with Nick! Ive heard that some insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying.... even heard a story (dont know if it is true) that a company tried to say a car was modified cos they had changed the valve caps!! Sounds daft but is it worth the risk..... :-k
when i declared my snake eyes they put under the section 'external styling mods' so i guess that'll cover stickers and stuff....... and its best to declare..... i got a nice suprise when the premium only went up a tenner for the snakes :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
muldersZR said:
Gordy said:
mike4 said:
dR0Og said:

when i declared my snake eyes they put under the section 'external styling mods' so i guess that'll cover stickers and stuff....... and its best to declare..... i got a nice suprise when the premium only went up a tenner for the snakes :)
Even Graphics must be declared as in the insurers eyes it makes the car more desirable to TWOCERS :grin:

·
570 Posts
Tesco insurance tried to void my mate's policy on his ZS180 when he crashed it because it had Typhoon paint and "he didn't declare it" to them - that soon got thrown out and the compensation started flowing ;)

Con artists!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts