MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok just wonderin how they are fitted can anyone fill me in and let me know if they are easy to change over from the 48 to the 52

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Me thinx Hob has done it....

what do they DO anyway?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Jib 21 said:
Me thinx Hob has done it....

what do they DO anyway?
yes i have, and it does improve throttle responce as well as letting in 1/4 (havent worked it out) more air

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
There have been quite a few instances or erratic/high idling after doing this and to really get the best benefit the ecu should be remapped to take advantage of the extra air.

·
Registered
556 Posts
dR0Og said:
There have been quite a few instances or erratic/high idling after doing this and to really get the best benefit the ecu should be remapped to take advantage of the extra air.
No need whatsoever to remap for the extra air. Mems is a self adapting ECU and will learn the new characteristics over a few hundred miles.

Sometimes erratic idling is seen, but can most often be solved with a throttle reset or at worst on the dealers T4.

Do not go wasting money on getting anything remapped for this mod.

·
Banned
2,106 Posts
dR0Og said:
Mine ran crap with a 52mm body.As above erratic/high idiling& to be honest i never noticed any change in responce or performance.In the end i took it off & sold it having ran my Z with/with out one i dont miss it & if they were that good why dont they fit it as standard?.

·
989 Posts
dR0Og said:
Quick question ... When i had my open k and n fitted direct to the throttle body ( no bendy black tube thingy ) When the engine was cold my idling revs would be at about 1,500 RPM wereas they used to be just under 1,000 Any ideas .. is this because i havent had the remap done ??

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Stu said:
dR0Og said:
No need whatsoever to remap for the extra air. Mems is a self adapting ECU and will learn the new characteristics over a few hundred miles.

Sometimes erratic idling is seen, but can most often be solved with a throttle reset or at worst on the dealers T4.

Do not go wasting money on getting anything remapped for this mod.
The mems will only make minor adjustments. If it were to learn for major modifications like this or a decat etc then why have a remap. A remap will give optimum performance for the increased mass flow not just a middle of the road self adjustment, but I've not got one anyway, just advice that I have picked up from other forums and people with a WHOLE lot more knowledge than me.

If it was such a great mod, why not do it as standard on the 105 as Grim Reaper said? Would have to make greater sense financially only having one TB across the whole range and you could use the extra performance as a good selling point? I think you will find that there is more to it than you think!

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Monkey Magic said:
dR0Og said:
Quick question ... When i had my open k and n fitted direct to the throttle body ( no bendy black tube thingy ) When the engine was cold my idling revs would be at about 1,500 RPM wereas they used to be just under 1,000 Any ideas .. is this because i havent had the remap done ??
the K&N will restrict the airflow more than having it with nothing, so it will take in more air, and idle higher, i think :mrsmiley:

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
The Grim Reaper said:
dR0Og said:
if they were that good why dont they fit it as standard?.
MG dont fint electric windows as standard (non +)

·
Banned
2,106 Posts
hob said:
The Grim Reaper said:
dR0Og said:
.......... so what, as above why go to the bother of making two diffrent throttle bodies if one is good enough ? think of the cost saving. With refrence to electric windows i thought that would be simple to see cost,far cheaper for non electric thats why.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even fittiing just an induction kit alone can make k series engine idle funny.

Electric windows weren't even an optional extra when my car was made apparently, it a 51plate, but i don't know if its true.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
The Grim Reaper said:
hob said:
The Grim Reaper said:
dR0Og said:
.......... so what, as above why go to the bother of making two diffrent throttle bodies if one is good enough ? think of the cost saving. With refrence to electric windows i thought that would be simple to see cost,far cheaper for non electric thats why.
Thanks Grim Reaper, that was exactly the point I was trying to make and what the hell electric windows have got to do with performance beats me! :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
556 Posts
dR0Og said:
The mems will only make minor adjustments. If it were to learn for major modifications like this or a decat etc then why have a remap. A remap will give optimum performance for the increased mass flow not just a middle of the road self adjustment, but I've not got one anyway, just advice that I have picked up from other forums and people with a WHOLE lot more knowledge than me.
Mems actually can make some fairly major adjustments to itself.

You need to clarify what you mean by remap. All MGR will ever do is reset the Idle sensor portion of the ECU. This is far far far from a remap.

Just regurgitating what you have read elsewhere is not always they best thing unless you have fully grasped what they are saying.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Grim Reaper said:
.......... so what, as above why go to the bother of making two diffrent throttle bodies if one is good enough ? think of the cost saving.
Because from an MGR point of view the 48mm one is more suited to the engine for economy etc etc.

So why bother making more than one trim level as surely it would be easier to make just one. One option does not always fit all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts