MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my car in the garage for warrenty work, they have informed me that my steering is out.

They said that its probably happened when i had the tracking done when i got my new tyres. The company i went to used a basic tracking system and it would seem that they aligned the wheels with the steering wheel slightly out!! Now my tyres have started to wear from the inside.

Moral of the story...........when getting the tracking done, pay the extra for 5 wheel alignment. It will ensure that your tracking is to within 1/2mm of what it should be!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
If u got a ZR, always take it to a rover dealer......or so i was told by a guy who works at quick fit. Said that they cant do trackin for the ZR, has to be done from a dealer.

The place u got urs done by prob used the set up for a R25 or summit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
will that be off when u got your avos springs fitted because someone telt me you have to have youe wheels cambered when your springs fitted or your tyres will wear on the inside or outside and he said it was exspensive

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Camber is how the wheel is sitting on the axle. Best way to describe it is take a cd and put it on your fingle and pretend that is a wheel on the axle. If you tilt the top of the cd towards or away from you that is like cambewring the wheel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i was advised to get it done or i will be paying for more tyres that owt else he said it costs about 150 to 200 quid thats why most people just get the tracking done cos lowering your car properly cost more money and most people arent willing to pull out the cash for the cambering

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The big tuning places will set it up properly. The main problem i think is that just replacing the springs causes this whereas changing the springs and matching dampers won't have a problem with camber. Now i think at the moment you can only really get springs or coilovers whith a huge difference in price between them. and hence your right about the price of properly lowering.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm guessing this is referring to 4 wheel laser alignment as it would be a bit difficult to do the spare as well.

As for camber adjustment, whoever told you to adjust it on a Zed has obviously never seen one. There is no cmber adjustment. You can only change the toeing slightly to compensate when lowered.

But if you do have it done, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Very advisable.

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the laser...but its called 5 wheel alignment because it includes alligning the steering wheel!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts