MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
i guess it would be possible but you will need very deep pockets

·
10,502 Posts
I think you will find it to be too heavy and will upset the balance of the car which will make it handle like John Prescot on a mini motorbike.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Pointless, 260bhp from a 4.6 ltr v8 is a joke.
Lots of better, simpler conversions out there
+1

400+ can be had from a 4 pot, even close to 260 can be had from a n/a now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i did think that 260 wasnt that much, what simpler conversions are there?

im not a speed idiot, just fancy puttin a bit work and effort into my zr, and converting the engine sounds good as i work on an oil rig and im not back for 2 months

what good engine conversions are there that will be not too much hassle to carry out?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
A nice rebuilt T-series would be good, spend money on refreshing the components and it will serve you well.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
The only reason the Mustang engine was restricted that much in the ZT was to give it reasonable mpg and driveability for a 4 door saloon. The same engine was used in the SV, in that they could open it a bit and standard was 380bhp but could be tuned to 900bhp! Ok using NOS but still, it proves that the engine is extremely strong. No 4 cylinder motor can stand that sort of power increase without regular rebuilds.

The same engine in the Mustang produces 300bhp and can be (and often proven) tuned to over 500bhp on standard internals.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
plus the torque must be pretty intense... and the sound *drools* lol

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Nope but which 4 Cylinder engine can give 400bhp Naturally Aspirated?
500 bhp /4.6 ltrs is 109 bhp/ltr, so to match that on a 4 pot would be 218bhp for a 2.0ltr, which is peasy, 400 from a 4 pot would be close to 1000bhp (forced) which is more like it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how much am i probablys gona end up paying for a t-series turbo engine?

and wheres the best place to buy one?

are these quicker than the type r's engine?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
how much am i probablys gona end up paying for a t-series turbo engine?

and wheres the best place to buy one?

are these quicker than the type r's engine?
The type R is a very revy engine, but it doesn't have too much torque (compared to the turbo) the turbo torque profile is quick and flat (most are).

Unsure where the best place to buy one is, but you can get an old car and replace the parts for new ones.

·
10,502 Posts
Buy a faster car, more reliable and you will not be chucking a 10 year old engine into a new (ish) car.

But thats my opinion, its not worth the money spent when you can use it towards a better/faster/better set up car

1 - 20 of 42 Posts