MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my head is going, i think, in the 1.4 rover 25 zr rep -
i have temp gauge going almost to red and bk down to normal every couple of days apart - no mayo in the oil cap but its drinkin water - 2 litres a day and ive got mayo in the coolant/water bottle -

so im thinking of an engine transplant instead of getting the head gasket fixed -

ive been looking for a 2l turbo for a week or so now and then found 3 220 coupe 2l turbos on the same day -

2 of them (L reg and N reg - unknown mileage) are in a scrapyard and the engines look rusty and i dont want to use those just on apearances,
and im sure they will be better and give me less problems than the one im going to talk about in a sec because it will be sods law biteing me on the bum for judgein a book by its cover but hey ho........ive found one at a rover spares place -

he said it has had the bottom end rebuilt and something about the cranks been good -

he wanted £500 for it and my jaw hit the floor - i was expecting around 250 to 350 because ive been using ebay as a guide this week -

however 1 question and one point - :)

point....i didnt ask if it came with gearbox or clutch doh :chair:

question.....is £500 a good price for a 220 coupe engine of unknown year/reg and unknown mileage -

also, another question as im here.......do you think it would come with the gearbox?

thanx

·
Registered
111 Posts
To be honest mate get the chepest engine you can and get it rebuilt yourself if you can afford it so you no exactly what its had done. Thats exactly what i did got at an engine thinking it was all ok the guy even gave me the rovertech.net forum post he made of building the engine but once it was fitted to my car it was trouble from day one so had to spend another £900 getting it rebuilt.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the tip :) ive had a few pm's regarding this post :) thanx everyone :)

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
£500 is reasonable if it has indeed been rebuilt :unsure:

As has been said, buy the cheapest (complete!) engine you can and rebuild it :)

If you need any help just gives a shout matey :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx mate :D just had a pm from shaun saying youve had 5 turbo lumps so you know your stuff :D

shame your in scotland tho :(

·
I Like To Disco Dance
5,734 Posts
it will save you so much hastle in the long run as youngy found out the hard way,

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
i bought my whole doner car for £375 with the engine running and car driveable. im still rebuilding the engine though im not taking any shortcuts for the pure reason that i dont want to get down the road a few months down the line and it starts causing problems. best thing to do mate is speak to Andy or Ade @ AAautosport. they may even be able to find you a good doner car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts